Artichokes have been transplanted to a spot in the forest garden and seem to be growing well. Since, mostly, both seeds I put in each cell germinated I separated them to plant and they bounced back quickly.
Walking stick & Thousand Head kales sprouted indoors, but the snails seemed to love them when put outside to harden. Most survived, but I decided to transplant to bigger pots instead of the garden in hopes of getting some size & vigor on them. They still look cruddy, so will probably try again for the fall garden if these don't make it.
Scarlett runner beans have been planted in a small section & quickly sprouted and got about 4 inches tall. Then they kind of stalled, not looking bad, but not growing (this happens with most of my bean attempts, so I soaked them in rainwater with Burpee beam inoculant before planting). Since nights are still in the high 50s-mid 60s, I hope they'll pick up when nights are warmer soon.
Dwarf Tamarillo has sprouted, but still tiny & in the nursery flat.
Aunt Molly's Ground Cherry sprouted and was up-potted until I heal enough to plant out.
Paracress ("toothache plant") germinated and I planted in bigger pots since they are small & snails are rampant right now.
**Edit to add the other greens I forgot**
Orach was sown in flats & has done fine. Will be planting them out soon.
Perpetual spinach is similar to the kales, with some mortality and weak survivors.
The recent, emergency surgery & hospital stay kind of caused a setback with my sowing, so I was late with a few things (and still haven't gotten everything sown), but did some vine peach & Mexican sour gherkin seeds last week and they're coming up now.
Overall, I'm not totally writing off anything just yet. For the two weeks I was in the hospital, most of them were outside in the Jiffy seed trays and were exposed to hot sun with no water, then torrential rain, as well as easy accessible to snails & caterpillars. Plus, after I was home, it was almost another week before I could get out there and deal with them all; so they may be stunted & weak because of that. Now, I've put most of them in larger containers and gave them a drink of comfrey/yarrow tea to see if I can boost them a little more before putting them in the ground & at the mercy of the snails/slugs. Whatever doesn't make it I'll try again in fall or next spring.
If you look closely at this tiny ad, you will see five bicycles and a naked woman:
100th Issue of Permaculture Magazine - now FREE for a while