Bethany Dutch wrote:The other day I got to chatting with my Dad about a few different predictions about climate change, etc.
We don't have an adequate substitute for oil just yet. We have a few potentials, and maybe some things that will work on a small scale, but nothing on a big scale.
What would life look like for the people who are left? How long would it take before civilization would sorta somewhat recover? Or would it ever?
paul wheaton wrote:tesla power wall - I got the impression that they are about $7000. And they supposedly will do fine down to 4 degrees. It seems that the the thing to do, for a portable solution, is to have them in a super, tiny insulated room with an incandescent light bulb that comes on when temps are below 20.
Out of all of the solutions that you listed, the one that seems the quickest and I am the most comfortable with would be the propane generator and a conventional portable electric heater.
I think the best thing this year is a series of simple, indicative tests.
Even if we ran the generator for a week, holding the interior temp at 85 degrees F for a week and then observed what happened in the following weeks - all of that would still be nothing more than indicative.
The real test is a year from now. Hence the challenge with "annualized" - it takes a year to do proper tests.
If we had more people in the bootcamp the last few years, we might be two years ahead on this testing. Which is why I have placed so much emphasis on the bootcamp and the BRK for boots.
paul wheaton wrote:I haven't finished reading your post and I need to comment on the propane heater. I have two big concerns:
- it uses up the oxygen in the space (and i am also concerned about the invisible exhausts)
- it puts a huge amount of water into the air
Peter van den Berg wrote:There's an old recipe which was used in former days in the Netherlands. Somewhere beside the cole stove a two pounds paper bag of salt was placed on the floor. It could stay there for years until a chimney fire occured. The recipe was to rip open the paper bag and throw it in the fire, bag and all. Immediatly after that all the air inlets should be closed and the chimney fire went out just like that. Presumably the salt getting hot, was producing a gas that's supplanting the oxygen in the stove and the chimney. The stove shouldn't be opened immediatly after the fire was out, the fire could start again in a flash.
Maybe it would work in a J-tube rocket as well?