"Once you’re familiar with the inhumane conditions of chicken factory farms, it’s difficult to casually buy a dozen eggs from your local chain grocer, ever again.
Yet many of these same folks get squeamish at the thought of culling their laying hens … or processing a chicken for meat.
That’s why, last summer, I decided to “lift the veil” from the entire process of raising your own meat chickens by raising my own flock of meat chickens, from egg to table. And filming the entire eventful process. (Mistakes and all.)"
Here's what you'll learn about:
• Getting your chicks from a local hatchery (I’ll tell you who to contact, when you’re getting started).
• Preparing a stress-free environment for the chicks.
• Setting up a brooding pen, complete with fresh water, feed, bedding, and a reliable heat source.
• Creating a secure space for your chicks to “free range”, with unlimited access to sunlight and fresh greens.
• How to keep your chickens safe from predators at night.