• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

growing Dwarf Moringa in pots

 
Posts: 1
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Judith, I had such a fun read this morning going through your thread. I grow curry leaf tree, and I saw many similarities (and differences)!! You’ve inspired me to try growing Moringa (I do a lot of Indian cooking). Thought I would mention I just read that heavy harvesting and lack of height will stop the flowering and pod setting process. (I want the pods too). You may want to let one go up for the season. It said when it has one main shoot it does the best. Good luck!!
 
Posts: 10817
Location: a temperate, clay/loam spot on planet earth, the universe
4039
4
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Nikki!
Thanks for the new information!
I cut mine back so frequently I've never seen how tall it would get.

I think I'll let one go unpruned and find out

Welcome to these forums 😊

I've never had a curry leaf tree...also  tropical?
 
steward & manure connoisseur
Posts: 5464
Location: South of Capricorn
3510
dog rabbit urban cooking writing homestead ungarbage
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Judith Browning wrote:
I've never had a curry leaf tree...also  tropical?


I grow mine next to my moringa-- but i saw a thriving one (with fruit, which mine has never done) in northern New Jersey. It doesnt lose its leaves here in 9b but i assume it does there.
 
Judith Browning
Posts: 10817
Location: a temperate, clay/loam spot on planet earth, the universe
4039
4
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The leaves taste like curry?
I probably don't need another root to protect over the winter but I'm always tempted🙄
Is yours grown from seed?

Nikki, do you grow yours in a big pot and bring in over the winter?
 
Tereza Okava
steward & manure connoisseur
Posts: 5464
Location: South of Capricorn
3510
dog rabbit urban cooking writing homestead ungarbage
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
curry leaf doesn't taste like curry (there is a curry plant, Helichrysum italicum, whose leaves smell like curry, that's hardier and probably would grow for you, but the taste isn't as vivid as the smell....)...
curry leaves have a really unique taste and are used in Indian cooking along with other spices. To me they remind me of mustard seeds without the bite, maybe? i've read people say it tastes like citrus, which I don't get. If you don't cook boatloads of Indian food that uses curry leaf (and not all does) it easily gets out of control (I'm constantly hacking it back and searching for recipes to use large volumes of it).
 
Do NOT activate your jet pack until AFTER you get out of the car! Even this tiny ad knows that:
Honeybee Tales by Leigh Tate
https://permies.com/t/235118/Honeybee-Tales-Leigh-Tate
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic