Win a copy of Permaculture Design Companion this week in the Permaculture Design forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Mike Jay Haasl
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • James Freyr
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Dave Burton
  • Pearl Sutton

I'm starting a carbon sequestration company. Anyone know interested people/businesses?

 
Posts: 3
Location: Pennsylvania
forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Everyone!

I've spent the last year developing a carbon sequestration company, Ecolantis Co, and now I'm looking for people and businesses to "buy into" the service.

There are two main ways for entities to participate.

1) They buy Carbon Farm Trees (CFTs) directly, which my company plant and manage with permaculture/syntropic/agroforestry techniques to maximize the land's carbon capturing potential.
2) They join the Carbon Farmers Club, which is a monthly subscription to build their carbon offset over time with accumulated CFTs.

Community is at the heart of my company's ethos. Part of the goal of this endeavor is to help farmers in Pennsylvania transition to regenerative and sustainable forms of agriculture/permaculture.
As such, we are open to working with other individuals and organizations in a mutually beneficial relationship. We're open to anything from being in a newsletter email, having a table at an event, an interview on a podcast, fundraisers, etc.

If you are someone or know someone who might be interested please let me know!

You can read more about the company/goals/approach at www.ecolantis.com
 
master pollinator
Posts: 11364
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
739
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Torin Weaver wrote:

1) They buy Carbon Farm Trees (CFTs) directly, which my company plant and manage with permaculture/syntropic/agroforestry techniques to maximize the land's carbon capturing potential.



Can you share some photos of your carbon farms and describe more about how they are designed?

Thanks!
 
pollinator
Posts: 3123
Location: Toronto, Ontario
383
hugelkultur dog forest garden fungi trees rabbit urban wofati cooking bee homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Also, what does end-of-life look like? Are trees grown out to a specific purpose and harvested, for sequestration as durable goods? Are they buried, to maximise adsorption of offgassing decompositional byproducts directly into the soil and act as nursery logs? Are they to be dropped into subduction zones, to prevent the carbon from reentering the atmosphere on anything but a geological timescale?

I admire the sentiment, but without the details, it looks like one of many businesses springing up to take advantage of the new carbon economy. It might go further to flesh that out a bit.

But let us know how it goes, and good luck.

-CK
 
Torin Weaver
Posts: 3
Location: Pennsylvania
forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Tyler Ludens wrote:

Can you share some photos of your carbon farms and describe more about how they are designed?

Thanks!



When I say new I mean really new.  We don't have any active carbon farms yet; we have several land owners/farmers who are interested in "leasing" acreage so we can develop it into food forest style plots.  I will share more about our approach to the designs soon.
 
Torin Weaver
Posts: 3
Location: Pennsylvania
forest garden
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Chris Kott wrote:Also, what does end-of-life look like? Are trees grown out to a specific purpose and harvested, for sequestration as durable goods? Are they buried, to maximise adsorption of offgassing decompositional byproducts directly into the soil and act as nursery logs? Are they to be dropped into subduction zones, to prevent the carbon from reentering the atmosphere on anything but a geological timescale?

-CK



Thanks for these useful questions. "End-of-life" is large scale agroforestry with a mix of uses. There is to be a strong focus on the syntropic farming use of planned pruning and successional species to accelerate temperate soil structure building and regeneration of modified temperate forests.  The trees are only a part of the equation, with species selected to focus on nut and fruit production, with a secondary focus on sustainable mushroom log growing. "Complimentary" species will focus on quick growth and nitrogen fixing, to be used in slash and drop, both for soil building and additional livestock forage. Medicinals, perennial vegetables, fiber, meat, and crafting materials make up the long term projected products of the systems.  Each plot will get regular soil carbon testing to monitor how much soil carbon is being added so as to adjust management methods along the way.
 
gardener
Posts: 2694
Location: Central Texas zone 8a
490
cattle chicken bee sheep
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I read over your site and am unclear how this works. Specifically where the trees are planted. I may have read that land owners are volunteering their land. What keeps a bulldozer from clearing it out for a subdivision in 20 years?
 
Posts: 68
11
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Those of us whose farms are carbon-negative, are you offering us money for living the way we already do?
 
Tyler Ludens
master pollinator
Posts: 11364
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
739
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Torin Weaver wrote:

Tyler Ludens wrote:

Can you share some photos of your carbon farms and describe more about how they are designed?

Thanks!



When I say new I mean really new.  We don't have any active carbon farms yet; we have several land owners/farmers who are interested in "leasing" acreage so we can develop it into food forest style plots.  I will share more about our approach to the designs soon.



Just to be clear; you have no land and have planted no trees so far?

 
Oh, sure, you could do that. Or you could eat some pie. While reading this tiny ad:
Heat your home with the twigs that naturally fall of the trees in your yard
http://woodheat.net
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!