Trace Oswald wrote: I've done it either way, and as far as I can tell, everything works. The way that works best for me if I want new plants as quickly as possible without seeing the old one back as much is to take a spade, put it right in the center, and split the plant. Then I turn the spade 90 degrees and split the two halves. Pull out three quarters of the plant, and plant those three elsewhere. Fill the hole around the original with compost if you have it, or plain soil if you don't.
If I want as many new plants as possible, I pry the whole plant out with a garden fork to get as much of the root system as possible. You won't get it all, so new plants will come up in a number of places in the original spot. Then i chop the plant i yanked out into pieces an inch or two long, and plant each piece of root. I've made 70 or 80 new plants at once this way. I've never counted exactly how many have come up, but definitely more than 95 percent. This spring I can take pictures of a huge ring of comfrey I made in my food forest from one plant.
Kc Simmons wrote:I've had poor luck with getting root cuttings going, but when I've had comfrey in pots & didn't plant it before the roots went through the drainage holes into the ground, I've had it come up from the roots that got broken off underground when I moved the pot.
This observation inspired me to try something similar to TJ's method. I made, what I call, a "comfrey tractor." Essentially, I just put a plant in a recycled, plastic, milk crate; and set it on the ground where I want a comfrey plant. Theoretically, the roots will grow through the bottom of the crate, and will break off in the ground when I lift the crate; allowing for a new plant to come up in that spot.
We shall see how it works out...
Always! Wait. Never. Shut up. Look at this tiny ad.
177 hours of video: the Permaculture Design Course and Appropriate Technology Coursehttps://permies.com/wiki/65386/hours-video-Permaculture-Design-Technology