• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Portugal runs entirely on renewable energy...  RSS feed

 
Burra Maluca
Mother Tree
Posts: 10066
Location: Portugal
936
bee bike books duck forest garden greening the desert solar trees wofati
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
...for a few 'glorious hours'

Well it's a start!

Here's a link to the full article.

And a snippet.

"Portugal is a world leader in renewable energy. More than half its energy comes from wind, solar and hydro power. But as the country struggles through a record recession will their sustainability drive ground to a halt?

For a few glorious hours at the end of 2011, Portugal's entire energy needs were met by renewable sources of energy.

They have the world's largest solar farm, Europe's largest wind farm and extensive hydro-electric dam infrastructure."
 
John Polk
steward
Posts: 8019
Location: Currently in Lake Stevens, WA. Home in Spokane
289
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That is great.

Another good role model in Europe has to be Iceland. Iceland has some unique factors. The population is only about 320,000, and over 60% of them live in the capital city, so their needs are small, and distribution isn't that large of a problem.

They are geologically unique, located on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which makes them one of the most geologically active spots on the planet. They have 200+ volcanoes, 600+ hot springs, and over 20 steam fields that produce 150+ degree (C) steam.

81% of all energy is renewable. The remaining 19% is imported fossil fuels. By the year 2050, they expect to be 100% renewable, using only local sources. They are currently building the infrastructure that will allow them to replace all fossil fuels with renewable, locally produced hydrogen. The world is watching, as they have perhaps the leading technologies in this field.

100% of all electricity is renewable (70% hydro, 30% geothermal). 89% of all homes are heated by geothermal, as are most government and commercial buildings. They began building the infrastructure for this in 1907.

Here is their largest geothermal generator, putting out 120 MW:



And for those who still think hydrogen power is still a pipe dream,

 
You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because
Permaculture Playing Cards by Paul Wheaton and Alexander Ojeda
https://permies.com/wiki/57503/digital-market/digital-market/Permaculture-Playing-Cards-Paul-Wheaton
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!