new videos
hot off the press!  
    more about rocket
mass heaters here.

more videos from
the PDC here.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

New video on how to make mead  RSS feed

 
Caleb Skinns
Posts: 75
Location: Calgary Alberta, Canada
9
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know if anyone here is interested, but I've posted a video on how to make mead.

I thought the frugal board would benefit from it because I'm able to make mead for about $1 per 750ml bottle. If you are one of those lucky (I live in an apartment) people with bees, you could make mead for under $0.05 per bottle.

It's my favorite alcoholic beverage, it makes me feel fantastic. There are no sulfites added so no headache for me. You can also flavor it in almost any way you can think of. Some recipes I want to create (these have all been done before, but I want to design my own) are chai, cherry, blueberry, coffee, chocolate, mocha, peach cobbler, apple pie and pumpkin pie. Those are just off the top of my head, but it gives examples as to how diverse mead can be.

I hope you like the video.

 
Nick Kitchener
Posts: 477
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nice vid.

I had some thoughts while watching...

You don't need to put boiling hot water in the carboy to rinse. It stresses the glass and will eventually break. You can use warm water and just fill it almost completely to get rid of the excess chlorine.

Instead of heating the honey, can you pour the tea into the honey and then stir it to thin the honey out? It would save you having to heat the honey in a double boiler.
 
Caleb Skinns
Posts: 75
Location: Calgary Alberta, Canada
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nick Kitchener wrote:Nice vid.


Thanks

Nick Kitchener wrote:I had some thoughts while watching...

You don't need to put boiling hot water in the carboy to rinse. It stresses the glass and will eventually break. You can use warm water and just fill it almost completely to get rid of the excess chlorine.


Do you mean every time I add boiling water it causes the glass to stress and compounds the stress? Like I have a finite amount of times I can do that? Is tempering the glass the way I have been not enough?

Nick Kitchener wrote:Instead of heating the honey, can you pour the tea into the honey and then stir it to thin the honey out? It would save you having to heat the honey in a double boiler.


That's true enough. I did that the first time.

Thanks for the input.
 
Nick Kitchener
Posts: 477
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Some types of glass will store up thermal stress and eventually break.

Either way, you have sanitised the carboy, and so the heat isn't necessary (I always get nervous mixing glass with heat ).

BTW, bleach acts differently depending on water temperature. With heat, it forms a stable Chlorine compound rather than the sanitising Chlorine gas. It's important to use cold water with bleach when sanitising. Rinsing is entirely up to you.
 
Caleb Skinns
Posts: 75
Location: Calgary Alberta, Canada
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nick Kitchener wrote:BTW, bleach acts differently depending on water temperature. With heat, it forms a stable Chlorine compound rather than the sanitising Chlorine gas. It's important to use cold water with bleach when sanitising. Rinsing is entirely up to you.


I did not know this. Thanks for letting me know.
 
Today you are you, that is turer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you! - Seuss. Tiny ad:
The $50 and Up Underground House Book by Mike Oehler - digital download
https://permies.com/wiki/23442/digital-market/digital-market/Underground-House-Book-Mike-Oehler
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!