paul has a new video  

 



visit the thread.

see the DVDs.

  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Edison Batteries  RSS feed

 
Vester Stevens
Posts: 9
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone thought of using Edison Batteries? They last almost forever. The railroads have them in their engines, with many lasting over 50 years, with minimal maintenance. They are a base, not an acid and used tap water not distilled, like you should with acid batteries. They would seem to be the perfect battery for electric vehicles and off grid power systems.
If I were setting up an off-grid power system they would be my battery of choice.
Just a thought~What do you think?
 
Cam Mitchell
Posts: 108
Location: W. CO, 6A
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Vester Stevens wrote:Has anyone thought of using Edison Batteries? They last almost forever. The railroads have them in their engines, with many lasting over 50 years, with minimal maintenance. They are a base, not an acid and used tap water not distilled, like you should with acid batteries. They would seem to be the perfect battery for electric vehicles and off grid power systems.
If I were setting up an off-grid power system they would be my battery of choice.
Just a thought~What do you think?

Yup. http://www.permies.com/t/36069/labs/Nickel-Iron-Edison-Batteries
'Course, Grant may have his own opinions...
 
Grant Schultz
Posts: 219
Location: Iowa City, Iowa Zone 5
20
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cam Mitchell wrote:
Vester Stevens wrote:Has anyone thought of using Edison Batteries? They last almost forever. The railroads have them in their engines, with many lasting over 50 years, with minimal maintenance. They are a base, not an acid and used tap water not distilled, like you should with acid batteries. They would seem to be the perfect battery for electric vehicles and off grid power systems.
If I were setting up an off-grid power system they would be my battery of choice.
Just a thought~What do you think?

Yup. http://www.permies.com/t/36069/labs/Nickel-Iron-Edison-Batteries
'Course, Grant may have his own opinions...


Nickel-Iron batteries are awesome for homepower (the best!), but sucky for vehicles and tractors (too bulky, not a lot of energy density)

 
Wyatt Barnes
Posts: 312
7
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Use of heavy batteries, within reason, is not a negative factor in an electric tractor. Pun intended.
 
Grant Schultz
Posts: 219
Location: Iowa City, Iowa Zone 5
20
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wyatt Barnes wrote:Use of heavy batteries, within reason, is not a negative factor in an electric tractor. Pun intended.


The weight is great. lead-acid batteries are great for that. the energy density of most nickel-iron batteries is where you need so many of them they become too bulky (or too heavy when you get enough)

Permie 1: Batteries are great! Tractors need LOTS OF WEIGHT for traction! Yay!

Permie 2: I'm really concerned about the compaction of tractors. I think we should all use draft horses and human power for everything! Yay!


Both of the above can work. What matters is HOW it's done.
 
Cam Mitchell
Posts: 108
Location: W. CO, 6A
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Grant Schultz wrote:Permie 1: Batteries are great! Tractors need LOTS OF WEIGHT for traction! Yay!

Permie 2: I'm really concerned about the compaction of tractors. I think we should all use draft horses and human power for everything! Yay!


Both of the above can work. What matters is HOW it's done.

Oh great, so you're saying my wife is right to want a horse? Grumble grumble....
I told her only if the apocalypse happens and there's no practical cars. I hope I'm safe!
 
Troy Rhodes
Posts: 626
26
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nickel Iron batteries offer real advantages but...

They are pretty expensive per kilowat-hour stored. Go price a set--breathtaking.


Last I checked, the only manufacturers were in china...so there's that.

 
Cam Mitchell
Posts: 108
Location: W. CO, 6A
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Troy Rhodes wrote:Nickel Iron batteries offer real advantages but...

They are pretty expensive per kilowat-hour stored. Go price a set--breathtaking.


Last I checked, the only manufacturers were in china...so there's that.


Yeah, there is that.
According to this highly dependable internet forum (*snark*) there are two "manufacturers" in the USA.
One (Zapp) just refurbishes the old Edison batteries, and the other (Iron Edison) is a distributor and buys theirs from China.
So expensive as they are, they would probably be more if actually made in the USA.
And it may be that for some reason it's illegal or highly difficult to make them in the USA. Closing the last lead smelter, anyone?

I really really wanted them to be the perfect solution, but alas, no. Just an (expensive) solution in certain situations.
I wish magical thinking actually worked. Sigh.
 
Think of how stupid the average person is. And how half of them are stupider than that. - Carlin But who reads this tiny ad?
Rocket mass heaters in greenhouses can be tricky - these plans make them easy: Wet Tolerant Rocket Mass Heater in a Greenhouse Plans
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!