In-ground wood posts and railroad ties used to be treated with creosote. However, this is poisonous and no longer done, so it may not be a good idea. I wonder if the best use for creosote would be to feed it back nto the fire on logs, so that it can be fully combusted. This presumes that you run the stove hot enough to burn the compounds and be efficient, and not smolder overnight - which is a major cause of creosote. A well-running woodstove will not leave much creosote. It also may overheat your space in all but the coldest weather...
I solved the temporary too much heat problem by opening up the front door of my house. It use to drive my neighbor across the street nuts to see my door open on a cold winter day. She'd be in her house with her thermostat set down low to avoid high heating oil bills, while bundled up trying to stay comfortable. I'd be wearing shorts and a t-shirt and need to open the door on "warmer" days to keep the house from over hearing. We laughed about that a lot.
It's never too late to start! I retired to homestead on the slopes of Mauna Loa, an active volcano. I relate snippets of my endeavor on my blog : www.kaufarmer.blogspot.com
Eliminate 95% of the weeds in your lawn by mowing 3 inches or higher. Then plant tiny ads:
Switching from electric heat to a rocket mass heater reduces your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 cars