• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Help needed buying a pot belly stove  RSS feed

James Been
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all

I see there are a lot of people selling Clarke pot belly stoves on ebay
I have contacted a lot of the sellers asking question about the fittings needed for this stove and they just don't seam to have a clue (for those that bothered to reply). Non of them are fire and stove dealers they just find something on offer in the cash and carry and just sell it.
The stoves are sold as stoves only and are absolutely useless with out a chimbley

Basically I want to fit one inside my ford transit van; and I need a flu pipe for it and a cowl (and if possible a way of rigging the air intake up)

I saw machine mart are selling them as well and with a whole host of fitting
But as they are a big company they don't seem to have time to answer my questions.
I see they sell 5" and 6" flu pipes and cowls, but since as the fire place is listed as 117mm flu size which is over 4 1/2" this makes no sense

I also see machine mart are selling aluminum ducting or flexi chimbley liner as they call it, 5" and 6"
Is this kind of piping fit enough to be used as the last bit of the extension and will it take the heat?

And my final question is why have all the sellers said that this stove if fit for burning wood only and unfit for burning coal?

So any help please on which fitting I need to get this stove up and running in my van

David Livingston
Posts: 3567
Location: Anjou ,France
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I would be worried about carbon monoxide in such a small space as a transit Van so good joints essential .
I think I would need to see one in person before I put my life on the line
R Scott
Posts: 3351
Location: Kansas Zone 6a
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
No idea on that specific stove, but many stoves with oval outlets were sized for a round pipe i.e. A 6" round pipe squished to an oval fits the opening.

A stove sized for a transit should have a small pipe, like a 4".

Are they measuring the inner or outer size of the fitting? 4 1/2 would be about right for measuring the outside of the fitting, but the pipe is supposed to go inside that fitting.
Destiny's powerful hand has made the bed of my future. And this tiny ad:
21 podcast review of Sepp Holzer's Permaculture
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!