I am starting a video series on YouTube on a Wicking Bed I have built. Mostly just so I can remember how I did created it and duplicate it in the future.
Anyways, this is not the typical thing someone thinks of when they think of Hugelkultur at all. However, isn't it extremely similar?? You have and aerobic environment that is extremely rich in organic matter with deep and consistently moist soil. With a highly complex soil food web chocked full of fungal activity. My future beds will likely have a lot of wood down deep on top of the reservoir too.
Something like this would be great at creating an entry point to those in Urban and Suburban areas who want to learn how to garden organically. I could possibly build and sell these things if the market will bear it.
1) I have to say that the growth rate of the plants is Immediate(instead of waiting a few years for things to break down).
2) The mice are going to have a much harder time moving in and making a home. Not that I mind... but many may.
3) Pest pressure from rabbits, pet dogs, etc. is not existent.
4) Weeds like Bermuda grass and such cannot invade these. Bermuda grass laughs at having to penetrate 2 ft of soil.
5) Putting in the worm towers is giving me a place to dump kitchen scraps just outside the kitchen door.
6) I have a massive concrete pad for a back porch. So this enables me to use the space that is kind of useless otherwise.
7) I can put this on wheels and literally move it around to different locations depending on the season, guests coming over, or what I want to grow(I have dappled shade under the Mimosa tree that covers part of the pad).
Let me know what you think. I still have a few update videos to upload to the album... and a season of growing to record.