Science as a method is a very useful and powerful tool and has brought us many things. Like any tool used by humans, it can be used well or poorly, for good or ill intentions, corrupted by those with money, power and influence, and simply subject to fad and whims of egos of humans as so much else is. That's why especially when it comes to what I put into my body, I want the freedom to make my own choices, using experience of myself and others as well as science. I appreciate many things that the scientific method has brought me, but when I hear people use science as an excuse for authoritarianism (people all need to do X because science), I have the same negative reaction as I do when I hear religious authoritarians try to force everyone into their idea of religious morality. Not that anyone in this thread is doing that, this thread seems entirely reasonable to me, but I've been hearing that a lot in the last few years. Not only are there the issues of human imperfection and corruption already mentioned, there's also the issue that our bodies are not all the same. If some food or medicine is helpful for 80% of the general population, or of the population of those with a particular diagnosis, but deleterious for the other 20%, then those in the 20% will get a raw deal following recommendations from science that comes from studies of the whole population, even if the science is flawless. Experience and intuition can give us a lot of knowledge about our bodies that science hasn't figured out completely.
All of us take risks every day as a fact of life. Those who take the risks that society encourages and get the short end of the stick are usually absolved of any blame, after all they were doing everything they "should". Even by mainstream estimates, medical error is a leading cause of death. However as soon as someone takes risks that society discourages and meets with failure, they are often widely scolded and ridiculed, even if many others took similar paths with good results. The results of the path myself of anyone else is taking won't be known until it's over, even if he have educated guesses. People making different choices gives all of us more examples in our lives to either emulate or to spurn. If you accept evolution (as I do) then natural selection will sort it out.