• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Growing Buckwheat Naturally

 
gardener & hugelmaster
Posts: 3990
Location: Texas
2321
cattle hugelkultur cat dog trees hunting chicken bee woodworking homestead ungarbage
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I tried the Japanese red variety a couple of years. Some came up & had a few flowers but never matured properly.
 
gardener
Posts: 2329
Location: Zone 6b
1573
forest garden fungi books chicken fiber arts ungarbage
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Same experience with the red buckwheat. I sowed all the seeds and couldn't get a harvest. I am suspecting different varieties have slightly different requirements for nutrients and that one happened to not like my soil. I have difficulty growing Japanese squashes too. I'd like to buy the seeds again and try one more time, but not using them all at once.
 
Posts: 3
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I grew buckwheat as a cover crop; tilled it in before it seeded. I planted strawberries the following spring and they were prolific. I got an ice cream bucketful every few feet. There were so many strawberries that I didn’t even mind sharing them with the gophers!
 
Posts: 28
5
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So exciting. I have wanted to do for so long. Used it first in making ancient style beers (yes beano was required). . really interested in the flour for bread now in life.. .
 
May Lotito
gardener
Posts: 2329
Location: Zone 6b
1573
forest garden fungi books chicken fiber arts ungarbage
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are you growing a large area of buckwheat? How do you hull the seeds?
 
They gave me pumpkin ice cream. It was not pumpkin pie ice cream. Wiping my tongue on this tiny ad:
Permaculture Voices 1, 2 and 3 - all 117 hours of video!
https://permies.com/t/voices123
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic