Win a copy of Permaculture Design Companion this week in the Permaculture Design forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Mike Jay Haasl
  • Burra Maluca
garden masters:
  • James Freyr
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Steve Thorn
  • Greg Martin
  • Carla Burke
  • Dave Burton
  • Pearl Sutton

Zoning, Coding, Local Ordinances

Posts: 19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We're starting our search for land and have been hitting a bit of a road block when it comes to zoning, coding, local ordinances, and such. We're looking to purchase raw land in the upper Lower Peninsula or mid Upper Peninsula of Michigan. In a perfect world, we would like to build a little cordwood house with a rocket mass heater, composting toilet, and a rain water catchment/gray water system of sorts. Trying to search online has brought us no where really, other than finding out that the state of Michigan allows composting toilets, gray water, and rain catchment systems but of course, it depends on each individual county. So, where do we go from here? Contact each county we're interested in individually? If so, would anyone like to type up a draft email, so I don't sound like a hippie dip crazy who they're afraid of moving to their town, hah.
garden master
Posts: 2705
Location: West Tennessee
cat purity trees books chicken food preservation cooking building homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
May I suggest calling the City Hall in a county that has a piece of land you're interested in. If you ask to speak to someone regarding building codes & permits, you'll get the right person who can answer your questions. I'm building a home, and I assumed there are building codes everywhere, but when I walked into city hall to get a building permit, the guy told me I didn't need one, since I was outside of city limits in rural county. He said it came up on a ballot a few years back and the county residents that voted opted out of having building codes outside of city limits. I still had to have an electrical permit & inspection (that's national, and is required everywhere) and a septic permit & inspection, but nothing else.
master pollinator
Posts: 11352
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
cat forest garden fish trees chicken fiber arts wood heat greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Counties often have a website which will contain the sort of information you're looking for.  That's where I would start, with a search for county websites and rooting through their online info.,4669,7-192-29701_31713_31714_31720-97053--,00.html
The problems of the world fade way as you eat a piece of pie. This tiny ad has never known problems:
September-October Homestead Skills Jamboree 2019
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!