FULL-TIME PERMACULTURE FARM CARETAKER IN THE BEAUTIFUL SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAINS OF CALIFORNIA
• We are looking for a self-motivated individual for a full-time position on our 7-acre permaculture homestead in Felton. It’s a beautiful heritage property with 400-year-old oaks, an 8-year-old food forest, organic food and medicinal gardens, pond, and a Japanese meditation garden. We’re looking for someone for whom this is their dream job, in a phase of life where you feel rooted and not traveling a lot. We want someone who is excited to take responsibility for stewarding this land and can commit full-time to its needs.
BENEFITS: • We’re offering a salary of $5,000/month for full-time work Sunday - Friday (approx. 40 hours of work per week) which will be paid through payroll.
• Health insurance benefits.
• Share of organic fruit, vegetables, and medicinal herbs from the property
• Possibility of a partial work-trade for housing on the property (not required)
• Convenient location, 7 min to downtown Felton, 15 min to downtown Santa Cruz, 45 minutes to San Jose.
SKILLS/EXPERIENCE NEEDED: • Driver’s license
• Organic orchard maintenance and pruning skills
• Irrigation installation & repairs
• Organic vegetable gardening, seed starting, plant care, and harvest
• Compost building and maintenance
• Gopher trapping
• Fence and path maintenance
• Ability to haul mulch and weed whip
• Handy person skills (general repairs/construction projects)
• Ability to organize projects and people • Farm supply ordering and receiving
• Chainsaw and tractor work
• Responsive on text as property needs arise (taking care of emergencies if they come up after hours)
• Bonus skills include: Permaculture and/or Biodynamic knowledge, ability to pull poison oak.
LIFESTYLE: • No smoking/drugs
• Clean background check
• No unannounced visitors
We have 2 large protection dogs, so no other pets will be permitted on the property. If this sounds like your dream job, please send an email to: email@example.com to apply.
Hello, my name is Tom Sanford, my cell number is 626-720-3010. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org I have lived in Santa Cruz for 6 years now. I studied permaculture with Toby Hemenway, Larry Santoyo and others. I've been involved with and overseen projects in urban, rural, large and small settings. I would like to open some dialogue with you to further explore the possibility of working with you. I can submit a resume and references tomorrow as it is too late now to wake my girlfriend up with the rattle of a laptop...however, I wanted to respond and introduce myself. So, I will be in contact again soon. Cheers, all the best. Tom
I’m down in the Southland, but I do ride from Santa Cruz into the mountains every now and then. I’m not interested in the job, but I’d sure like to do a ride by and visit. Maybe after you install your new groundskeeper, if you’re open to that sort of thing? You can respond here or write me at limeone at me dot com. I’d even offer an hour of service in my bike cleats! : ) If not, I understand totally. Mike