I tried a little experiment recently for a week and the results were shocking.I have been suffering from IBS,pancreatitis,and acid reflux along with a persistent skin irritation.After one week of using distilled well water some of my digestive symptoms improved and my skin condition nearly went away.So now I am trying to come up with a way to filter the crap out without spending $30,000 on a system specifically to remove chloramine.It doesn't evaporate out like chlorine and it can be filtered like ammonia.I don't know enough about water systems to know what I need to clean up the water quality.So how do i rid myself of chloramine tainted water.Florine/floride is another concern also.
WHOLE HOUSE BERKEY!!!
It is just the ticket for a pressurized rainwater collection system. It still doesn't have the flouride filters, though
Anyone know if "campden tablets" are a reasonable option? cost-wise I think this would be reasonable (about 1 tablet/day, so about $6/year), but I don't know if this would be adding another chemical problem to my compost and soil: they are sodium metabisulfate or potassium metabisulfate:
Or has anyone figured out a way to get enough UV from sun to handle it?? how much time does it need in the sun? at what point does it become an easier option to dress up as a ninja and break into the municipal water supply and switch out their chloramine supply for something harmless?
from wikipedia "Chloramine":
The use of ultraviolet (UV) light for chlorine or chloramine removal is an established technology that has been widely accepted in pharmaceutical, beverage, and dialysis applications. UV is also used for disinfection at aquatic facilities.
Chloramine can be removed from tap water by treatment with superchlorination (10 ppm or more of free chlorine, such as from a dose of sodium hypochlorite bleach or pool sanitizer) while maintaining a pH of about 7 (such as from a dose of hydrochloric acid). Hypochlorous acid from the free chlorine strips the ammonia from the chloramine, and the ammonia outgasses from the surface of the bulk water. This process takes about 24 hours for normal tap water concentrations of a few ppm of chloramine. Residual free chlorine can then be removed by exposure to bright sunlight for about 4 hours.
and how do you make activated carbon?
is it really worth just getting a berkey and filtering all my gray water? doesn't that seem kinda lame? does any plant sequester this stuff? any fungus? bacterium? opisthokont? benevolent alien?
Joy Oasis wrote:How much I understand vit c powder reacts with chloramines and makes them into nontoxic compound. People add about a teaspoon of powder to neutralize bath water, which is about 25-30 gallons, isn't it? It will change the taste of the water -either will make it a bit sour (if using ascorbic acid) or a bit salty (if using sodium ascorbate). There are also other forms of vit c, but they are rare and much more expensive.
Ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate completely neutralize both chlorine and chloramine, but degrade in a day or two, which makes them usable only for short-term applications. SFPUC determined that 1000 mg of Vitamin C tablets, crushed and mixed in with bath water, completely remove chloramine in a medium-size bathtub without significantly depressing pH.
(From wikipedia) --so this means the vitamin C breaks down and releases the chloramine back into the wild, yes?
As far as plants go, I don't think it would affect microorganisms much as amount is quite small, but I am not sure.