• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies living kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • raven ranson
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • paul wheaton
  • Devaka Cooray
stewards:
  • Burra Maluca
  • Miles Flansburg
  • Julia Winter
garden masters:
  • Dave Burton
  • Anne Miller
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Mark Tudor
  • Pearl Sutton

Apple tree problem - advice please :)  RSS feed

 
Posts: 55
Location: West London, UK
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Morning all,

Me & my aunty planted some fruit trees in Feb and the apply tree seemed to get a bit of a battering when it was chucked over the fence by the delivery man.

The top looked dead and upon gently scraping some bark the top (well approx 60% of the tree) showed no growth.

Only last week did the first leaves appear near the bottom of the tree and so now I have a apple tree that is alive for the first 40% and dead for the remaining top 60% of the plant.

What should I do?

Thanks for your replies,

Samuel
 
pollinator
Posts: 2081
Location: Massachusetts, Zone:6/7, AHS:4, Rainfall:48in even Soil:SandyLoam pH6 Flat
88
forest garden solar
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If the leaves are above the graft line you are in luck. And you are certain that the remaining 60% is dead simple chop of the dead 60%.
You will now have a heavily pruned apple tree. It will grow and produce just as well as a regular apple tree.

 
Posts: 240
Location: Vermont, annual average precipitation is 39.87 Inches
17
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yup, apples can take really heavy pruning. I'm heavily pruning some apple and pear trees to create a living fence (espalier). One of my trees ended up looking like a stick in the ground last spring but it's got plenty of new growth to work with this year.
 
If you have a bad day in October, have a slice of banana cream pie. And this tiny ad:
Self-Sufficiency in MO -- 10 acres of Eden, looking for a renter who can utilize and appreciate it.
https://permies.com/t/95939/Sufficiency-MO-acres-Eden-renter
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!