and close up:
I sprayed it off with the hose but it came right back.
These plants got off to a very stressful start, someone else planted them in the hoophouse while I was planting several hundred saplings. The plants all keeled over but I was able to revive them. They've got a bit of leaf curl, and a little blight too but I'm hoping they pull thru.
Not sure why those two are planted so close together, but like I said someone else did the planting.
So, should I pull the plant or leave it?
What is the ick?
D. Logan wrote: It was a slime mold of some sort that was growing on a massive pile of woodchips in my yard growing up.
Well, I did put down a bunch of bark mulch this year and last year. I'll do a little googling and see what I find, thanks.
According to this:
Slime molds get their nutrients from dead organic matter, such as mulch. Although slime molds may grow on plants, they do not harm plants. Slime molds will eventually disappear on their own. If you want to speed this process, rake the mulch to promote air drying.
In this particular instance, quelling the urge to KILL IT was the right move.