new videos
hot off the press!  
    more about rocket
mass heaters here.

more videos from
the PDC here.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Probably a stupid question, but...  RSS feed

 
Nolan Robert
Posts: 59
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I got a book recently that was from the Ukraine, I believe it was made in the 70's.

I was showing my brother and he joked about Chernobyl and that I had bought a radioactive book (which was really funny).

But it got me wondering, what are the chances that this book (or any older book from the ukraine) was contaminated by the nuclear disaster? Would it still have enough radiation on it to be harmful?

Not too concerned, mostly just a "I wonder if that's even possible" type of question.

Thanks.

 
Chris Lyons
Posts: 22
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not a stupid question at all, but an interesting one! If dust or radioactive particles landed on or were transferred to the book it could become radioactive.
 
Chris Badgett
pollinator
Posts: 289
Location: Whitefish, Montana
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Some toxins have a long shelf life.

You would need to get a geiger counter to investigate this scientifically.
 
Nolan Robert
Posts: 59
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Chris Badgett wrote:Some toxins have a long shelf life.

You would need to get a geiger counter to investigate this scientifically.



Yeah it was mostly just a curiosity question. I'm not going to buy a geiger counter for it haha
 
Nolan Robert
Posts: 59
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Chris Lyons wrote:Not a stupid question at all, but an interesting one! If dust or radioactive particles landed on or were transferred to the book it could become radioactive.


Interesting. It was from an old sports academy or gymnasium or something. I doubt it was anywhere near chernobyl but the thought did cross me and my brothers mind! I'm thinking that even if it was radioactive, it would probably be less than a microwave or cellular phone or something.
 
Chris Lyons
Posts: 22
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nolan Robert wrote:
Chris Lyons wrote:Not a stupid question at all, but an interesting one! If dust or radioactive particles landed on or were transferred to the book it could become radioactive.


Interesting. It was from an old sports academy or gymnasium or something. I doubt it was anywhere near chernobyl but the thought did cross me and my brothers mind! I'm thinking that even if it was radioactive, it would probably be less than a microwave or cellular phone or something.


These are different types of radiation. Microwave and cell phones radiate electromagnet radiation i.e. radio waves. Radio waves may affect tissue by heating. The type of radiation emitted by radioactive material is called Ionizing Radiation. Ionizing Radiation has enough energy to strip electrons from atoms. Ionizing Radiation from the decay of radioactive materials emits sub atomic particles that depending on the type of particle can penetrate tissue and cause damage.
 
Julie Bernhardt
Posts: 54
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I asked about radiation when I bought my 2013 Prius. The dealer and my husband both laughed at me.
 
Deb Stephens
Posts: 395
Location: SW Missouri, Zone 7a
23
books dog food preservation forest garden goat trees
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Nolan,
You don't need to purchase an expensive Geiger counter to test for radiation. Instead, just make yourself a cheap but handy little tool called a Kearny Fallout Meter. These have been around since the 70s' (I believe) and use simple, everyday materials to build. (Looks like a coffee can when finished.) It only takes a few hours to get one up and running and you will have one handy in case the s**t REALLY hits the fan. This is the more or less "official" how-to and explanation from Oak Ridge National Laboratories, but you can find tons of hands on info--including tutorials on You Tube--to see a less technical explanation of how to make one. Have fun!
http://web.ornl.gov/~webworks/cppr/y2001/rpt/112538.pdf
 
Nolan Robert
Posts: 59
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Chris Lyons wrote:
Nolan Robert wrote:
Chris Lyons wrote:Not a stupid question at all, but an interesting one! If dust or radioactive particles landed on or were transferred to the book it could become radioactive.


Interesting. It was from an old sports academy or gymnasium or something. I doubt it was anywhere near chernobyl but the thought did cross me and my brothers mind! I'm thinking that even if it was radioactive, it would probably be less than a microwave or cellular phone or something.


These are different types of radiation. Microwave and cell phones radiate electromagnet radiation i.e. radio waves. Radio waves may affect tissue by heating. The type of radiation emitted by radioactive material is called Ionizing Radiation. Ionizing Radiation has enough energy to strip electrons from atoms. Ionizing Radiation from the decay of radioactive materials emits sub atomic particles that depending on the type of particle can penetrate tissue and cause damage.


Yikes! Well hopefully the book is fine to be around.

I remember this stuff vaguely from high school science class
 
Nolan Robert
Posts: 59
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Julie Bernhardt wrote:I asked about radiation when I bought my 2013 Prius. The dealer and my husband both laughed at me.


That sucks

What was the concern?
The battery?
 
No more fooling around. Read this tiny ad:
Systems of Beekeeping Course - Winterization Now Available
https://permies.com/t/69572/Systems-Beekeeping-Winterization
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!