• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Anne Miller
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • Timothy Norton
  • Jay Angler
stewards:
  • r ransom
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Kate Downham

Can you think of any hobbies that are directly related to gardening?

 
gardener
Posts: 3967
Location: Western Slope Colorado.
1098
5
goat dog food preservation medical herbs solar greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
One thing my garden does for me is provide memorial space.  

My little dog died after a long life that bridged the life shared with resident children to kids graduating from college. I buried her in the garden.  I knew I would be moving within a couple years.  I planted brilliant oriental poppies next to her.  

Ever since, each time I expect to be in the same place for years, I plant brilliant red oriental poppies to remind me of her and all we shared.

The young son (30 ish) of a friend of mine died under curious circumstances.  He had been in Mt Shasta, Ca. moved on to Ashland, Oregon where he died.  I plant Shasta daisies for him.

I had a big wonderful Komondor who lived a long good life with me.  I was staying at a mountain cabin originally built in 1929 as a homestead.  I composted her, and when her bin was done, I brought the compost to my home in the valley below.

We can include so many things in our garden spaces.  Including but not limited to everything from art to junk.

There, we can find a place for our dreams, and time for contemplation.
 
master steward
Posts: 16360
Location: Pacific Wet Coast
10871
duck books chicken cooking food preservation ungarbage
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nancy Reading wrote:Does posting on permies count as a hobby ;) ?


It better - I spend way too much time doing so, and I don't want to call it work!
 
pollinator
Posts: 144
Location: South Louisiana, 9a
45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Eating was the first thing that came to my mind. You might not think of it as a hobby, but I spend a lot more time on it than required for simple nourishment, so I guess it qualifies.
 
Switching from electric heat to a rocket mass heater reduces your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 cars. Tiny ad:
Permaculture Voices 1, 2 and 3 - all 117 hours of video!
https://permies.com/t/voices123
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic