new videos
hot off the press!  
    more about rocket
mass heaters here.

more videos from
the PDC here.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

I can only buy one book so...  RSS feed

 
Amber Foster
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this website, and I have been intensly studying permaculture for the past year and a half. I just bought a 40 acre plot of land in Missouri with my partner in crime. He has been studying and practicing permaculture for over 20 years now. We are planning to move in March to begin building and planting. We can only afford to buy one book on permaculture at the moment, and we really can't agree on which one to buy.
Could we get some recommendations please?
Thank you!
 
Michael Cox
Posts: 1659
Location: Kent, UK - Zone 8
54
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Amber - your options basically boil down to The Permaculture Designers Manual which is fabulous, or something more specifically suited to your situation or climate (I can't advise on that!).

I participated in the winter book club on here last year where we read through the PDM - it was well worth the cost of the book.

I'd also say that the money you spend on educating yourself is well worth it compared to wasting money through ignorance on projects later.
 
Ann Torrence
steward
Posts: 1191
Location: Torrey, UT; 6,840'/2085m; 7.5" precip; 125 frost-free days
111
bee books chicken duck goat trees
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Inter-library loan

gaia's garden
Edible Forest Gardens I and II
the Permaculture Design Manual

read them all and then decide which one earned a place on your bookshelf. You may, for example, really like the detailed plant listings in Vol II of EFG, but won't ever really re-read the PDM. Or completely the opposite. Or you may want to have Gaia's Garden to loan to other beginners. They are all good, different takes on 70% of the same material. Which of the other 30% is best for you is up to you.
 
Amber Foster
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Michael and Ann! All of the books you mentioned are on my list to read and get eventually. This helps to narrow my search and make this less overwhelming, because I want them ALL!
 
allen lumley
pollinator
Posts: 4154
Location: Northern New York Zone4-5 the OUTER 'RONDACs percip 36''
58
books fungi hugelkultur solar wofati woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Amber Foster : You may get lucky and find that these books are available through your local lending library(s), You can also try Amazon books (used).

Another site I like is called Alibris books (used) and icon my most popular sites but will turn up in a Google search !

For the Goodof the Crafts ! Big AL
 
Amber Foster
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Allen! I love Amazon and have found the Designers Manual on Amazon, and plan to buy it shortly. We will be eventually building a good permaculture library in actual book form. Until that time, we will be using libraries etc to make sure we have all of the information we need.
 
Amber Foster
Posts: 9
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We decided on Bill Molison's Permaculture, A Designers Manual. It was well worth the cost, and Rob is already making a protective leather pouch for it. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
 
Miles Flansburg
steward
Posts: 3979
Location: Zones 2-4 Wyoming and 4-5 Colorado
165
bee books forest garden fungi greening the desert hugelkultur
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Amber, don't forget to check out all of the books in our book forum.

http://www.permies.com/forums/f-83/books
 
Amber Foster
Posts: 9
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Miles, I had only just begun to look at the book thread, when I posted this question. I plan on using it for info on our next book purchases. There is SO much here in the forums, and so much I want to learn. The combination means I want to spend All My Time on permies...I need to pace myself. Or not sleep, ever.
 
It is an experimental device that will make my mind that most powerful force on earth! More powerful than this tiny ad!
2017 Rocket Mass Heater Workshop Jamboree - 15 workshops in one event
https://permies.com/wiki/63312/permaculture-projects/Rocket-Mass-Heater-Workshop-Jamboree
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!