I don't want to necro this thread unneccessarily, but also don't want to start a new thread where one already exists.
I have a grey-water mulch basin fed by a shower and two sinks. I use all biodegradable soaps, detergents, etc. I also rarely cook any meat, so not much, if any, animal fat is going down the drain. I only mention that to give you a sense of what goes into the mulch basin.
I had planned on inoculating the basin with Winecape mushrooms. Would it be safe to eat these mushrooms give the contents of the basin? I know heavy metal and radiation are one thing, but would there be anything in there that would make the shroomy unsafe to consumy?
I have read about how oyster mushrooms, in particular, can destruct certain toxins so that they are no longer toxic. In this instance, it was only because they changed the molecule into something benign. This wouldn't be the case for a toxic element, like arsenic, lead, or mercury, because it won't be able to pull an element apart.
posted 10 months ago
Would there be anything in typical greywater that would be so toxic as to make mushrooms grown in and around it unsafe for human consumption? I can't think of anything. I don't think soaps, shampoos, and detergents designed to be biodegradable have high toxicity.
I will open the floodgates of his own worst nightmare! All in a tiny ad: