Thread Boost feature

paul wheaton
master steward
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
This thread is for discussing the new "thread boost" feature.

When I would look at permaculture and homesteading magazines, I spend about 20% of my time reading the ads.   I could skip over them, but I know I want to know about this stuff too. 

When we run ads on permies, most people have learned to ignore them.   So people are not getting that information.  And advertisers are bummed too.

We created a forum a long time ago called "blatant advertising"  - so when people post to this, it shows up in all the feeds.   It is labeled as "advertising" and we allow advertisers to post there for free.  I think it has worked well.   We allow publishers to make threads about their books in the books forum.   DVD producers can post to the dvd forum.  Product manufacturers to the product forum ....   Workshops, real estate, PDCs, conferences, online courses ...  all are free and we encourage people to post.  We even made a big list of free stuff people can do to advertise their stuff.

Over the last year, we have been boosting the threads that we think are the best.   Often times, that boost is for a really good thread.  Other times it is for something commercial. 

Most threads when they are a year old, appear to have about 800 views.   But take a look at this thread.  Six weeks ago we created it and gave it a bunch of boost.   It now has over 20,000 views.  Not too shabby!

So we have now come up with an automated way to boost a thread.  Everybody should be able to see a big button at the bottom that says "Boost this thread!"   This is a brand new feature, so it is still "beta".   Please let us know in this thread if there are any issues.   Hell, at this point, it would be good to hear that things are working well!

Casie Becker
pollinator
forest garden urban
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm making an exception to my policy not to post just to agree. I love this idea. I can see how this may contribute to the accumulation of information into comprehensive threads and reduce the creation of quite so many redundant threads covering the same info. I try to add old threads that I read to all the relevant forums to make them easier to find, but I haven't wanted to post empty comments just to bring them to the top of the viewing cues. Thank you.

paul wheaton
master steward
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
People have been testing it a bit and it seems like it is all working correctly. 

I wish to really take it through the paces. 

So for the next few days, I have configured the thread boost stuff so that orders of $100 or more are 80% off.  And orders of $1000 or more are 90% off.  I am hoping that this will lead to a thorough test of the features.

Inge Leonora-den Ouden
pollinator
bike dog forest garden urban
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I saw the button several times, but did not use it. I have so many 'flags' to give away ... I use those as my 'boost'.
Content minimized. Click to view

Fred Tyler
garden master
Location: St Paul, MN/Tularosa, NM and now a gapper at Wheaton Labs
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I compared two threads selling plants/seeds. They were made around the same time (Jan 15th and 17th).

The first offering comfrey cuttings started on Jan 15th has been viewed 114 times as of today (Feb 18th).

https://permies.com/t/61905/Comfrey-root-cuttings-Bocking-cultivar

The second offering siberian pea shrub seeds started on Jan 17th, was boosted for one month. It has been viewed 6073 times as of today.

https://permies.com/t/61972/Siberian-Pea-Shrub-seeds-sale

This increased visibility has resulted in more interest in the thread (more replies) and probably more sales.

Thread view count is visible at the bottom of the thread (when logged in).

paul wheaton
master steward
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
paul wheaton wrote:
Most threads when they are a year old, appear to have about 800 views.   But take a look at this thread.  Six weeks ago we created it and gave it a bunch of boost.   It now has over 20,000 views.  Not too shabby!

I just want to point out that a bit more time has passed.  That thread is now three months old and has had 41,671 views.

Deb Rebel
pollinator
books cat fish food preservation greening the desert solar trees urban woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wow! I had no idea adding flags would do that to a post. I have quite a few apples now (thank you SO much all...) and could totally rock something if I boosted it other than adding a recent post after some serious time it sat idle... thank you!

Coralee Palmer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I do not understand the Autolink feature of Thread Boosting.  I signed up for Autolink with a two word phase, but I cannot find any links to my thread.  What am I missing?

paul wheaton
master steward
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Coralee Palmer wrote:I do not understand the Autolink feature of Thread Boosting.  I signed up for Autolink with a two word phase, but I cannot find any links to my thread.  What am I missing?

What is the phrase you tried?  Can you point me to one thread that has that phrase?

R Ranson
master steward
books chicken tiny house toxin-ectomy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Coralee Palmer wrote:I do not understand the Autolink feature of Thread Boosting.  I signed up for Autolink with a two word phase, but I cannot find any links to my thread.  What am I missing?

It looks like your phrase is permaculture income

It looks like the auto link worked here.  For as long as you are subscribed to the boost, when someone on permies writes this phrase, it will automatically become a link to your thread.

Coralee Palmer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I understand you correctly.  If someone type Permaculture Income in the search function, it should come to my thread, even if that phrase is not in my thread?  Is that correct?

Tracy Wandling
garden master
Location: Cortes Island, British Columbia. Zone: 8ish Lat: 50; Rainfall: 50" ish; sand and rocks; well water
bee books chicken forest garden fungi hugelkultur trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Coralee, I think it means that if someone uses the phrase permaculture income in their post it should show up as a link, like it does in R Ranson's post.

But it doesn't seem to be doing that here. So, what's up with that?

Coralee Palmer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The first offering comfrey cuttings started on Jan 15th has been viewed 114 times as of today (Feb 18th).

https://permies.com/t/61905/Comfrey-root-cuttings-Bocking-cultivar

The second offering siberian pea shrub seeds started on Jan 17th, was boosted for one month. It has been viewed 6073 times as of today.

https://permies.com/t/61972/Siberian-Pea-Shrub-seeds-sale

This increased visibility has resulted in more interest in the thread (more replies) and probably more sales.

Thread view count is visible at the bottom of the thread (when logged in).

Which feature(s) of Thread Boosting was used in this test?

R Ranson
master steward
books chicken tiny house toxin-ectomy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Coralee Palmer wrote:If I understand you correctly.  If someone type Permaculture Income in the search function, it should come to my thread, even if that phrase is not in my thread?  Is that correct?

Not the Search function, the forum.

Like this:
I typed the word lasagna and when I press submit, it automatically makes that word (lasagna) a link.

Judith Browning
Location: Arkansas Ozarks zone 7 alluvial,black,deep loam/clay with few rocks, wonderful creek bottom!
bike chicken fungi trees urban woodworking
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tracy Wandling wrote:Coralee, I think it means that if someone uses the phrase permaculture income in their post it should show up as a link, like it does in R Ranson's post.

But it doesn't seem to be doing that here. So, what's up with that?

Seems like I remember that the linked words only show as a link the first time they are posted in a thread and that's why the words link in R.'s post and not yours. permaculture income won't link in my post either.

Coralee Palmer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are three or four references to Permaculture Income in the above text posts, but only one links to my thread.

One reference the word Permaculture only, even when Permaculture Income is typed.   It links to permaculture boot Camp.

I do not understand how this works.  Is there a bug?

Tracy Wandling
garden master
Location: Cortes Island, British Columbia. Zone: 8ish Lat: 50; Rainfall: 50" ish; sand and rocks; well water
bee books chicken forest garden fungi hugelkultur trees
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe the link only shows up the first time the phrase is used in the thread, not every time it is used.

• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
Boost this thread!