• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Forest garden, wild veggies, no-till veg garden (foodism and lifestyle)

 
Aljaz Plankl
Posts: 384
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
...
 
                  
Posts: 67
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
how many calories / sq ft ?
 
maikeru sumi-e
Posts: 313
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Beautiful. That's a bit of what I'm going for this spring.
 
Aljaz Plankl
Posts: 384
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Calories? I have no idea. I'm not into counting much. I just go in a garden and eat, mostly just fresh as i pick it. Almost no preparation of food. Grains are not for flour, i use them for sprouts and rejuvelac. Straw for skep making and mulch. Plenty of wild food in this garden, my salad source i could say. Then there is semi-wild veggies which i prefer to garden cultivated ones. Food everywhere basically, to much of it to eat it all. And most trees and shrubs are not even in their production.
 
                  
Posts: 67
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
do you import food ?
 
Aljaz Plankl
Posts: 384
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Only import is from nature. Changed my lifestyle over time and i'm now living on what i grow and what nature around me provides.
 
Jason Long
Posts: 153
Location: Davie, Fl
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I enjoyed it, and the music was fun!
 
                          
Posts: 25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Really nice.  How long would you say it took, for you to make the transition? 
 
Tyler Ludens
pollinator
Posts: 9402
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
160
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Plankl wrote:
Only import is from nature. Changed my lifestyle over time and i'm now living on what i grow and what nature around me provides.


Can you talk a little bit more about your diet?  What are your staples and what do you probably get most of your calories from?

Thanks. 

 
                          
Posts: 25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, more details please! 
 
                                    
Posts: 147
Location: Anoka Sand Plain, MN Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 43
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
+3

good video!  also should i try rejuvelac again?  i made it once and thought it was gross.
 
Aljaz Plankl
Posts: 384
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
  In 2005 i tried 100% raw vegan food for couple of months. After couple of months my old food habits came back, guess i needed a slow transition. Probably just because of my mind. Especially sweets, those were... arghhh. Also all other stuff such as milk, cereals, sugar, meat... They constantly came back, but not that i needed them really, it was more of a addiction to taste. All that time eating this stuff i was not feeling well and i knew how good i was doing when i was mostly eating raw food. Old food kinda kept me from natural rhythm. Eating late in the night and consuming all the stuff.
  In 2009 my diet changed to mostly raw. No more meat. Since then i really felt constant body curing, because i was still consuming milk and all that. Good stuff tried to eliminate bad stuff all the time. I was sweating all the time.
  All i need now is something with high water content till noon or just little bit of something. Like most of the day basically. Most of time just water from nature in the morning. Now I love to eat little all day long. And it's the end at 6pm. In the winter i love stored apples, pumpkins, dried fruit, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds. I love fresh broccoli and cabbage from the garden and wheat-, spelt- and rye-grass for chewing on to extract some juice, the rest i spit out. I love rejuvelac and sprouts from stored grains! Rose-hip is my all time favourite in winter, i just pick it fresh and bite off the part with no seeds. There are also some other stuff like blackberry and strawberry leaves. I also like to chew on some raw dried mushrooms. Carrots are also available when it's not freezing. 
  In spring and summer there is lots of wild plants to munch on. Especially in my climate i think greens play important role to get what my body needs. I just can't list everything there is to eat!
  There is season for homegrown food and it's just to much of everything. Not to mention fall with all the fruits. I'm also a fan of wild fruits and i'm munching on them a lot. That's why i love forest gardening, to mimic natures wild food supply. Still have to wait a year or two for my planted rose-hip to start producing. And all other stuff! I really don't know how to answer the calories question. Raw fruits, vegetables, greens, nuts and seeds give me everything and i feel better than ever before. I also need way less food. I hate when my belly is full now, it's just about energy and if i eat too much apples i feel it and i don't like it. One apple is enough for hour or two. Nuts i especially don't like to eat too much, just here and there a bit when i feel like it.
  Less is more and now i see this is really true. I get more energy from less food, because my body doesn't need to process that much. And that's the power of raw food, it tells you right away when you're good, especially if i don't sit down and prepare meal and eat, because i will probably eat it all. And that's why i miss summer so much, when i can just go out and pick some tomatoes and eat them and not worry about food for another hour or two.
  Nature is really abundant, but it's really abundant now, when i try to eat as much as possible in nature itself. Something is different, i get more from less and it's great!
 
Tyler Ludens
pollinator
Posts: 9402
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
160
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks! 
 
Jan Sebastian Dunkelheit
Posts: 201
Location: Germany/Cologne - Finland/Savonlinna
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Leaves are great. They slow down the digestion process and let you take more out of the stuff you eat.
Yes, you do need less when you eat lots of leaves.
There is a diet that builds upon this, anyone heard of that? You only eat one big meal in the evening and some nuts, fruits or veggies all day around. You start your evening meal with a big salad, drink warm tea to help digestion and eat half an hour/ an hour after the salad as much as you can or want.
No timelimit, no calorie counting here.


Eating is like a daily celebration with that diet because you prepare your evening meal more carefully, give it more attention. Love that. It also seems like a natural eating habit to me because the hunter and gatherers ate stuff they found en route and came back home in the evening to eat and celebrate. Good side effect: You eat all the stuff you want and get lean the same time. You simply can't get fat that way. Your stomach must be enormous to get the calories needed to gain weight with one big meal.

Okay, that was pretty off-topic and advertising. But it was about calories, haha.
 
Brenda Groth
pollinator
Posts: 4434
Location: North Central Michigan
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
similar to cave man diet only they eat meat and eggs, a hunter/gatherer diet is what I hope to have for my complete diet in the near future, I'm still using some cheeses at this point in time and a few other things, but no grains at all at this time..super low carb so no potatoes, carrots, and other super starchy veggies either and for this winter at least no fruits
 
Jan Sebastian Dunkelheit
Posts: 201
Location: Germany/Cologne - Finland/Savonlinna
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't see the reason to restrict myself to not eating stuff I like. I love cheese, potatoes and often make juice out of frozen fruits and veggies I collected in summer and fall.

When I don't get my carbs in form of bread I get headaches and a ravenous appetite resulting in eating waaay too much carbs. Chocolate, sweets of all kind. That's not healthy for me. I compromise with my body.
 
                                    
Posts: 147
Location: Anoka Sand Plain, MN Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 43
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i plan to move closer to plankl's diet in the next few years however i would be concerned about getting enough protein, specifically lysine:  http://www.theveganrd.com/2011/01/vegan-food-guide-protein-and-new-book.html
 
Jason Long
Posts: 153
Location: Davie, Fl
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

christhamrin wrote:
i plan to move closer to plankl's diet in the next few years however i would be concerned about getting enough protein, specifically lysine:  http://www.theveganrd.com/2011/01/vegan-food-guide-protein-and-new-book.html


I am assuming you mean enough amino acids and not "protein", as you did mention lysine which is an amino acid and your body uses as a building block for protein? Lysine is an essential amino acid and it is found in plant food. Actually, all essential amino acids are found in plant food. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/105/25/e197
 
ronie dee
Posts: 612
Location: NW MO
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Excellent article there Jason.

They did leave it up in the air as to how to get the B12. If i remember rightly, there is a way to manage B12 with the right combination of plant foods...but i don't know what it is. I would be curious if anyone knows even though i wouldn't need it without extreme changes to the current world order.

Well I didn't find the answer in a search yet, however, i did find a debate as to the article by Dr. McDougall of Jason's link... Seems that the protein can be easily obtained through plant sources, but more than B12 is missing..
Calcium, Zinc, Omega 3 and trace minerals. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/20/e148?maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=B12+without+animal+food&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

I would be interested as to how those who are vegans, deal with complete nutrition. (Didn't they find Omega 3 in some plants?)
 
Brenda Groth
pollinator
Posts: 4434
Location: North Central Michigan
10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
i have a medical reason for restricting carbs..I LOVE carbs..but they drive my blood sugar up so I'm attempting to live mostly on proteins and fats, using fat for energy rather than carbs, when I do so I manage to keep my blood suger in acceptable ranges, if i have a few extra carbs (up to 40 net grams) my suger spikes..

hopefully i'll be able to reach a place in the future where I can add fruit back in, as I have planted hundreds of fruit trees and bushes on the property and hate to think I wasted that effort !!
 
Tyler Ludens
pollinator
Posts: 9402
Location: Central Texas USA Latitude 30 Zone 8
160
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brenda Groth wrote:
hopefully i'll be able to reach a place in the future where I can add fruit back in, as I have planted hundreds of fruit trees and bushes on the property and hate to think I wasted that effort !!


Could you feed them to chickens or other livestock?  I know you've mentioned you don't keep livestock but I don't know if you've said you plan to keep it that way forever. 
 
                                    
Posts: 147
Location: Anoka Sand Plain, MN Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 43
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jason wrote:
I am assuming you mean enough amino acids and not "protein", as you did mention lysine which is an amino acid and your body uses as a building block for protein? Lysine is an essential amino acid and it is found in plant food. Actually, all essential amino acids are found in plant food. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/105/25/e197


yeah i think you got my meaning.  & i know that all amino acids can be found in plant foods.  i did not say otherwise.  i assume you did not read the article i linked to or you wouldn't have thought you'd need to provide me w/that info.
 
                                    
Posts: 147
Location: Anoka Sand Plain, MN Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 43
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Brenda Groth wrote:
i have a medical reason for restricting carbs..I LOVE carbs..but they drive my blood sugar


thats too bad about the carbs brenda!  can you eat berries at all?
 
maikeru sumi-e
Posts: 313
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
christhamrin wrote:
i plan to move closer to plankl's diet in the next few years however i would be concerned about getting enough protein, specifically lysine:  http://www.theveganrd.com/2011/01/vegan-food-guide-protein-and-new-book.html


Lysine shouldn't be too much of a problem if eating certain beans, lentils, dals, etc. and amaranth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine#Dietary_sources
 
Jack Shawburn
Posts: 230
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Plankl - Thanks for sharing the video.
It's great to see what other people do.
Any chance of posting more video?
 
Warren David
Posts: 187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dunkelheit wrote:There is a diet that builds upon this, anyone heard of that? You only eat one big meal in the evening and some nuts, fruits or veggies all day around. You start your evening meal with a big salad, drink warm tea to help digestion and eat half an hour/ an hour after the salad as much as you can or want.
No timelimit, no calorie counting here.
It sounds like The Warrior Diet. http://www.warriordiet.com/ The name is very tee hee but I have read plenty of posts by people that claim good results.
 
Jan Sebastian Dunkelheit
Posts: 201
Location: Germany/Cologne - Finland/Savonlinna
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It is Warren. I deleted the name from my original post because I never bought a book about it and won't stand up for the stuff written in them. I just eat that way.
 
                                    
Posts: 147
Location: Anoka Sand Plain, MN Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 43
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
maikeru wrote:
Lysine shouldn't be too much of a problem if eating certain beans, lentils, dals, etc. and amaranth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine#Dietary_sources


Yes that's what the article I linked to said.  Perhaps I should have said so myself after linking to it.  I don't think plankl said he (or she?) eats beans.
 
Chelle Lewis
Posts: 424
Location: Hartbeespoort, South Africa
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Fantastic little video! Really enjoyed it. Watched it twice... so encouraging. Neat how you eat as you need... all raw.... lots of leaves.. and feel better for it.

Thank you 
 
Warren David
Posts: 187
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dunkelheit wrote:
It is Warren. I deleted the name from my original post because I never bought a book about it and won't stand up for the stuff written in them. I just eat that way.
Ah ok.
I've also  read that hunter/gathers don't usually have much if anything for breakfast. It wouldn't do for me though. I tend to get hungry within a couple of hours of getting out of bed so if I'm going to be working away from the house, I'll have breakfast soon after getting up because it's more convenient that way.
 
She still doesn't approve of my superhero lifestyle. Or this shameless plug:
Learn, Design, Teach, & Inspire with Permaculture games.
FoodForestCardGame.com
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!