• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies living kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • raven ranson
  • paul wheaton
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Julia Winter
stewards:
  • Burra Maluca
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Bill Erickson
garden masters:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Bryant RedHawk
  • Mike Jay
gardeners:
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • Dan Boone
  • Daron Williams

looking for thimbleberry shoots  RSS feed

 
Posts: 418
Location: Northern Maine, USA (zone 3b-4a)
12
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hey you permies in the great NW! I'm on a mission to grow every type of northern wild cane berries. i currently have wild Maine raspberries, arctic raspberries, dewberries. black cap raspberries, wild northern blackberries and many cultivated types of raspberries. on my to get list are northern thimble berries and cloudberries. was wondering if any of you folks in the northern parts of the NW have a cold hardy to at least z 4 thimble berry growing near you and if you wouldn't mind digging 3-4 small shoots , wrap the roots in wet newspaper and ship them to me? i have a paypal account. to get you the money for shipping costs plus a little more for your time. it would be greatly appreciated! i have many types of fruit bushes from all over the world i could trade some cuttings / seeds with you also. thanks for your time.
 
Posts: 80
10
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi are these the ones you're looking for?

Zone: sunshine coast of BC, Canada.  (map says zone 9a...not sure all some maps use the same numbers)

berries: called thimble, red, exceedingly delicious, come out in June, not prolific,  will dry on the bush without falling off when old but slip off as you reach for them if perfectly ripe.

they grow on the edges of Forrest if blackberries are reined in. Deer love the fresh leaves.

If you think they will arrive and will coach me on how to pack them up I'd be happy to send them to you.  there are no ripe berries now so I took a pic of some leaves.
20170912_100242.jpg
[Thumbnail for 20170912_100242.jpg]
 
master steward
Posts: 4911
Location: Pacific Northwest
1359
cat duck fiber arts forest garden homestead hugelkultur kids cooking wood heat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have thimbleberries, too, though my zone is only 8a/7b, not nearly as cold hardy as you're probably looking for...
 
steve bossie
Posts: 418
Location: Northern Maine, USA (zone 3b-4a)
12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Genevieve Higgs wrote:Hi are these the ones you're looking for?

Zone: sunshine coast of BC, Canada.  (map says zone 9a...not sure all some maps use the same numbers)

berries: called thimble, red, exceedingly delicious, come out in June, not prolific,  will dry on the bush without falling off when old but slip off as you reach for them if perfectly ripe.

they grow on the edges of Forrest if blackberries are reined in. Deer love the fresh leaves.

If you think they will arrive and will coach me on how to pack them up I'd be happy to send them to you.  there are no ripe berries now so I took a pic of some leaves.

thanks for the offer but bring them in from canada is near impossible, otherwise id take you up on it.
 
steve bossie
Posts: 418
Location: Northern Maine, USA (zone 3b-4a)
12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nicole Alderman wrote:I have thimbleberries, too, though my zone is only 8a/7b, not nearly as cold hardy as you're probably looking for...

thanks! id like to try and get them from at least a z 4 area or they probably won't make it here. I'm in z 3b.
 
Posts: 622
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
25
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I live in the same climate zone as you (3A specifically), on the North shore of lake superior. I see thimbleberry all the time in the forests around here. If you're still looking, I can collect a sample later in the year when I come across a healthy specimen if you like.

I've seen the odd cloudberry but they are much less prolific.
 
steve bossie
Posts: 418
Location: Northern Maine, USA (zone 3b-4a)
12
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Nick Kitchener wrote:I live in the same climate zone as you (3A specifically), on the North shore of lake superior. I see thimbleberry all the time in the forests around here. If you're still looking, I can collect a sample later in the year when I come across a healthy specimen if you like.

I've seen the odd cloudberry but they are much less prolific.

i appreciate the offer but by time they get thru customs they won't make it. i found some thru Oikios that came from northern michigan, last year. planted 5. 4 made it. can't wait to taste the berries! still looking for a U.S cloudberry source.
 
Posts: 25
1
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Try Sean at edibleacres.org for thimbleberry, i believe he’s in zone 5
 
steve bossie
Posts: 418
Location: Northern Maine, USA (zone 3b-4a)
12
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
thanks Tripp!
 
If you believe you can tell me what to think, I believe I can tell you where to go. Go read this tiny ad!
Binge on 17 Seasons of Permaculture Design Monkeys!
http://permaculture-design-course.com
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!