Thanks in advance to anyone reading this! I'm still finding my way around these forums and I'm not sure this is the correct one (if not, sorry!).
I have no clue if this is poison oak, since I'm a total newbie at all things nature, and yes, I did try looking it up online, but I'm still not positive. You guys really seem to know your stuff, so I figured I'd snap a few shots and go straight to the source. And yes, we do have an actual smallish oak tree in our front yard, and I have found a couple acorns planted by a squirrel (I'm guessing) in my garden beds, lol, so I suppose this could be something like that, but I want to be cautious. I don't like being itchy!
If this IS poison oak, how should I handle it? One is growing up next to our ancient (inherited) grapevines, and the others under some type of coniferous tree (told ya I'm a newb!) that my kids have a swing attached to (thankfully, it's on the other side and they are nearly 9 and 14, so if I show it to them, they'll avoid it.
It looks like an oak tree to me too. But if you start to notice hairs developing on the 'trunk' then I was wrong. I do not know how old a poison oak seedling is when it starts to grow hair. I think 18 inches tall and no hairs equals a tree.
If you chose to move it, hoping for a tree, do wear gloves. I get a rash if I am within 10 feet of it.
I think I'll let them grow a little more first to watch for those "hairs" mentioned, and then yank 'em if it's safe. I have 1, well actually 2 I guess, small oak trees in my front yard and I don't think I need anymore!
I'm gonna teach you a lesson! Start by looking at this tiny ad:
Wildlife Web Kickstarter: Participate in the Web of Life