If you have cash and are looking for a place you can really fall in love with, fertile land that could sustain a small group of people, a place with privacy, the beauty and freedom of the wilds, but minutes away from “civilization”... then check out this amazing, well-loved ranch/homestead located just outside the city limits of Callahan, CA.
Callahan, a town of 250, is 15 min from Etna (farmer's market, schools, library, restaurants, historic theater, fuel, etc.), 45 min to Yreka, 1hr to Mount Shasta, 1.5hr to Ashland OR.
- Of the 80 acres, half is sloping flood-irrigated pasture and the other half is forested in pine, cedar, oak, maple, alder, elderberry and manzanita.
- There are numerous (low-flow but year-round) springs (1 w/a 15000 gal. storage tank), a pond, and a small year-round creek in addition to a Priority water right of 2.5 CFS (Cubic Feet/Second) delivered by ditch from a high country wilderness lake-fed creek.
- Elevation ranges from 3200'-3600'.
- The 2 bdrm, 1000 sqft home is built under and attached to a 60' x 30' pole barn with a 400 sqft solarium/greenhouse/bathhouse.
- The ground floor is concrete with sheet rocked walls and the upstairs is floored with unfinished red oak and tongue/groove pine walls and ceilings.
- Owner-built house is well insulated with an abundance of natural light and double-pained windows throughout.
- Grid power is to the house but the home has been operating wonderfully without any electricity for the past 7+ years.
- The Amish-built cook stove heats the house, the hot water (thermosyphon system) and provides for cooking/baking all with the same fire. (We cook outside with propane and solaroven in the summer.)
- The land is currently designated as an “Agricultural Preserve” under the Williamson Act which means I pay under $400 in taxes per year in exchange for agreeing not to “develop” or parcel out the property.
- Leasing out the pasture for grazing in the summer brings in a $3000 yearly income.
I've been deliberating about selling this place for years now and, though I may forever regret letting this incredible place go, it feels like too much land for me AND my son is sensitive to the wildfire smoke in the summers.
I'm hoping to find a cash buyer who is interested in caring for this place and keeping it from being exploited.
I'm asking $300,000
Also.. if you happen to be interested in turning this land into an intentional community or eco-village with me, let's talk!