My name is Matt and I'm a boot out WL (just started on the 8th). We just got the new parts in for fixing the sawmill, so I was working with Fred to get it put back together. As we were putting the motor in place for a test fit of the gears and belt, the plastic housing for the electrical components broke off (see video and pictures). The manufacturer for this sawmill is in New Zealand and this particular model of sawmill has been discontinued by them, so it will be very difficult to just get a new box. All of the replacement parts we've gotten from the manufacturer have taken at least a month, sometimes as long as three months, to arrive here, which would set us behind quite a bit. On top of that, overseas shipping is also very expensive.
So, we're trying to find a relatively fast way we could replace or build this housing in a way that is waterproof and dustproof. If any of you have ideas on products that are very similar to this case that we could buy and adjust from another manufacturer, let us know.
Also, let us know if there are any other pictures you'd like that would help you come up with solutions. I'll try to post more information on the manufacturer and dimensions of the box later today.
Welcome to boot camp! Your going to have a great time!
So, even with your photo's and video it is hard to see just what plastic part broke.
You need a new plastic waterproof enclosure.
I can't see how the original was attached, but I can see what looks to be 4 screws that might have held it on.
I will assume that epoxy on the original is not an option.
I would buy a similar sized sealed electrical box , they are readily available. Home Depot, electrical supply outlet, online.
Cut and drill the needed spots to match the original mounting location. Move the guts from yours over and use a silicon sealer where the main wire enters.
Hi Matthew, Depending upon how brittle the plastic is (if its worth salvaging), it could be 'welded' back together with a soldering iron and then reinforced with some JB Weld glue.
Not sure if this is the best video out there but it gives you an idea of what I mean: plastic welding Yes, you will be producing some nasty fumes, so do it in a well ventilated area.
Another option could be to find a plastic box of some sort and retrofit it to replace the whole original housing. Might look a little funky but function over fashion right?
...or even make a box from wood. Some 1/4" plywood glued and stapled together?
If the sawmill always stays upright, a new cover that just sheds water could probably be cut from some container to slip over it from the top, leaving the bottom mostly open. It could at least work until something better is found. The wires from the box to motor could be replaced with longer ones to remotely mount a bona fide outdoor electric box if one doesn't want to fit in its current place.
And he said, "I want to live as an honest man, to get all I deserve, and to give all I can, and to love a young woman whom I don't understand. Your Highness, your ways are very strange."
Check out NEMA enclosures at McMaster-Carr You may find something that is the right size? you'll need to drill your mounting holes and knockouts for wiring, but the polycarbonate enclosure should be tough enough for the job.
They have a great selection of other components, so check out whether you need new cable, cord grips, fasteners, or whatever, so you can do the repair well, while you are at it.
<edit> Oh, yeah, order by 6:00 PM EST and they ship the same day. (for me in Boston from them in N.J., I see things the next morning!)
Thanks for the replies everyone. We've managed to track down some individuals in Spokane that might have the part we need, but we are still waiting to hear back from them. So, we will be looking at these ideas for a temporary fix to get the sawmill up and running, the NEMA Enclosures on McMaster Carr seem especially promising, thanks for the good suggestion Kenneth.
I've attached pictures for the motor manufacturer and the rough dimensions of the box for anyone who is interested.