I just want to know exactly what to do to get rid of the aligheny ? carpenter ant. We have several acres and they have decided to make it their own. They are blk and red ,about 1/4" and cover the nest with pcs. of wood or grass,leaves. Please help, I have tried some dia.earth,but may have not got the proper type. it has been raining here alot.
paul wheaton wrote:A series of recent bits and bobs compelled my to write an article about diatomaceous earth.
Did I leave anything out?
COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Composition: Diatomaceous earth, which is a natural product, derived from the remains of freshwater plankton. The product contains less than 4% ingredients respirable crystalline silica.
Chemical : Powder
Ingredients Name CAS Proportion
Diatomaceous earth 61790-53-2 96%
Silica as quartz and cristobalite 14808-60-7 <4%
Other information Mineralogy
Amorphous silica as diatom microfossils generally 96%, cristobalite and quartz generally less than 4%
Some places sell the diatomaceous earth (food grade) mixed with other stuff. And that is something I do not recommend. When I see a label that says "97% diatomaceous earth" I have to wonder what the other 3% is. If the packaging is about killing bugs, is it some sort of toxin? Did they add something like borates or pyrethrin for a little extra kick? I don't want that!
Daniel Crockett wrote:Has anyone experimented and/or had any luck with trying to mix DE into their cob or plaster mix for a structure (same for earth cement/flooring)? The thought simply being that if the structure itself has a decent ratio (without overwhelming the building components, of course), it would make the structure pest-free by default. Or am I staring into a pipe dream?
Amanda Reykdal wrote: All you DE experts out there, you already know that the main ingredient is silica...not harmful by any means...actually quite beneficial to us in ways...but, there is one thing that when mixed with, can give off lethal vapors...yes, you guessed it....HYDROCHLORIC ACID (goes by over 100 other names) so, this is definitely something I think people should be aware of, cuz this stuff is found in LOTS of stuff people use everyday...maybe a precaution that should be taken when using anything containing silica, including DE, when using with around or near anything containing Hydrochloric Acid!!!
Jennifer Flores wrote:Ok, I am very new here, but am excited to see a lot of topics I am interested. To Paul, I read your article on DE and using it to treat for fleas. I absolutely loved what you wrote and the information you included. Now, I only have a gazillion questions! My biggest question is, how can you tell it's working? Ha. I have carpet and have been spreading it around and letting it sit overnight and then vacuuming frequently, but it seems like I'm just moving them around from room to room. I will dust a room, then go on to the next and they're all over me. I dust that room and go back and then they're all over me again, back in the room I started in. Even after waiting and vacuuming, they just move from one room to the next. I've been bathing my cat (who is an indoor cat, by the way. How we got them, no idea.) and killing tons of them on her, but then she roams around and I'm assuming I didn't get them all or the ones in the carpet are jumping back onto her. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Any sort of advice would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!!
paul wheaton wrote:
Dianne Keast wrote:
Would it be safe to spread a little under the carpet before you install it?? so that way when fleas go down to enjoy the habitat under the carpet they will come in contact with DE?
I'm not sure I would do it. I wonder if it would absorb moisture in the air and then not work. I dunno, my gut says I probably wouldn't do this.
The two armies met. But instead of battle, they decided to eat some pie and contemplate this tiny ad:
Switching from electric heat to a rocket mass heater reduces your carbon footprint as much as parking 7 carshttp://woodheat.net