• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Organic corn yields world record 454 bu/acre in Virginia  RSS feed

 
J D Horn
Posts: 155
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Credits improved soil life for the yield increase. Anyone with any insight into this Biovante outfit?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/record-virginia-takes-worlds-biggest-corn-harvest-from-iowa-and-its-all-organic/article/2541046
 
Paul Anderson
Posts: 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
J D Horn wrote:Credits improved soil life for the yield increase. Anyone with any insight into this Biovante outfit?

http://washingtonexaminer.com/record-virginia-takes-worlds-biggest-corn-harvest-from-iowa-and-its-all-organic/article/2541046


David Hula is NOT an organic farmer. He's very focused on soil health, but uses all available crop inputs, including synthetically refined fertilizers and pesticides, to grow his crops.
 
Johnny Niamert
Posts: 268
Location: Colo
3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Interesting and kind of disappointing to hear, especially about the GMO part.

I was kind of surprised to read on Biovante's site the part that said you could apply their biologic concoctions at the same time as pre-emergent herbicides. That struck me as unusual.


Quite the journalism failure, none the less. They should redact or edit the story, since it is not based on reality.
 
R Scott
Posts: 3351
Location: Kansas Zone 6a
32
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The new big-ag thing is organic soil building plus all the chemical weed control. Like you taking probiotic and antibiotic at the same time.

It isn't perfect, but it is way less petrochemical fertilizer, so it is a step in the right direction.
 
John Elliott
pollinator
Posts: 2392
79
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
R Scott wrote:
It isn't perfect, but it is way less petrochemical fertilizer, so it is a step in the right direction.


A 'step' in the same way that a drunk 'steps' around under a light post looking for the keys he dropped.

For those that are wondering what that yield is in rational units, 454 bu/acre is equal to 30.6 tons per hectare or 3.06 kg/sq.meter.
 
R Scott
Posts: 3351
Location: Kansas Zone 6a
32
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
More like how a business switches to "green" packaging because it is CHEAPER, but yeah. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is still wrong, but what about doing the right thing for the wrong reason?

And to put it in rational imperial measurements, that is 1 1/2 cups per square foot. How does that compare to Mel's sq foot gardens? Or a hugel?

 
John Elliott
pollinator
Posts: 2392
79
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
R Scott wrote:
And to put it in rational imperial measurements, that is 1 1/2 cups per square foot. How does that compare to Mel's sq foot gardens? Or a hugel?


I like those units -- really simplifies the transition from garden to kitchen!
 
John Polk
steward
Posts: 8019
Location: Currently in Lake Stevens, WA. Home in Spokane
289
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
the transition from garden to kitchen


Or put like "If the pigs hadn't stepped there, I would have had enough to make a batch of cornbread to go with the BBQ pork roast."
 
Christine Baker
Posts: 62
Location: NW Arizona - high desert Joshua Tree forest
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So did anybody try the product?
 
Blake Wheeler
Posts: 166
Location: Kentucky 6b
3
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
R Scott wrote:More like how a business switches to "green" packaging because it is CHEAPER, but yeah. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is still wrong, but what about doing the right thing for the wrong reason?

And to put it in rational imperial measurements, that is 1 1/2 cups per square foot. How does that compare to Mel's sq foot gardens? Or a hugel?



Personally I'm glad to hear the newest fad is organic-ish soil improvement in big ag. Fact of the matter is baby steps in big ag lead to larger improvements in overall soil health than massive leaps by 50 back yard gardeners can even make.

I find it impressive to see large "set in their ways" industries open to change. That industry sets the standard to the average person of what food production means, so it stands to be possible for it to influence many others.
 
Scott Strough
Posts: 299
Location: Oklahoma
21
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Blake Wheeler wrote:
R Scott wrote:More like how a business switches to "green" packaging because it is CHEAPER, but yeah. Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is still wrong, but what about doing the right thing for the wrong reason?

And to put it in rational imperial measurements, that is 1 1/2 cups per square foot. How does that compare to Mel's sq foot gardens? Or a hugel?



Personally I'm glad to hear the newest fad is organic-ish soil improvement in big ag. Fact of the matter is baby steps in big ag lead to larger improvements in overall soil health than massive leaps by 50 back yard gardeners can even make.

I find it impressive to see large "set in their ways" industries open to change. That industry sets the standard to the average person of what food production means, so it stands to be possible for it to influence many others.
I have to agree. Never denigrate the good just because it isn't perfect. One of those conventional farmers that started integrating organic, holistic management, and permaculture into his farm was Gabe Brown. He is now currently down to no artificial fertilizers at all, no insecticides or fungicides at all, and only 1 herbicide application every 3 years. (He is working hard to eliminate herbicides completely) He is experimenting with everything from polycultures to hugelkultur but his main rotations are conventional cash crops and forage raised livestock rotations. Pretty darn close to organic and his soils show it. One field recently reached 11% SOM......and this from a broadacre conventional farmer!

The only thing I disagree with is the idea this is a fad. It's not a fad. It is the slow gradual conversion of the standard industrial models of agriculture in favor of a more biological approach. We are seeing it now because of two main reasons. 1)The industrial model is not sustainable and is already showing signs of failing. 2) The technological advancements in organic and biological models is finally catching up and surpassing the antiquated industrial models..
 
my overalls have superpowers - they repel people who think fashion is important. Tiny ad:
Learn, Design, Teach, & Inspire with Permaculture games.
FoodForestCardGame.com
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!