Dave Redvalley wrote: Would those mushrooms be Ok to eat or should they just be composted? I'm just a little concerned about the pesticide residue.
Zach Weiss wrote:
John, thank you for the wonderful explanation. I understand that fungi are very different from animals in that they digest compounds before accumulating them. If they are only ingesting compounds that they can use how is it that heavy metals, hydrocarbons, and radiation are accumulated in the fruiting bodies? Perhaps they are trying to purify their environment by removing these toxins? Why wouldn't there be the same risk for accumulation of herbicides and pesticides?
Jeanine Gurley wrote:
Is there a way to 'detoxify' commercially grown hay or straw?
Dave Redvalley wrote:Great information here guys, thanks for the feedback. It seems like the fungi will probably break down the herbicide residues, but I should set the straw aside for a season after I inoculate it to be on the safe side. Does this sound right?