1. Is the goal to build the soil below and above the ground or just above?
2. If the goal is to build the soil below the ground too, would tilling the ground before setting the sheet mulch help the process?
3. Is adding plant matter from plants grown in the beds enough to maintain the fertility of the beds or must more outside input be brought in to keep it going?
4. Why is the cardboard/newspaper important? Could it not be substituted with leaves for example?
5. Why should I add biochar to a lasagna bed?
Brandon Greer wrote:Hi George, everything I've read is that the wood chips will break down too fast and rob Nitrogen. But I guess since you're adding grass and other organic matter, that is replacing the nitrogen lost?