• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Carla Burke
  • Nancy Reading
  • John F Dean
  • r ransom
  • paul wheaton
  • Jay Angler
  • Timothy Norton
stewards:
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Tereza Okava
  • Nicole Alderman
master gardeners:
  • Christopher Weeks
gardeners:
  • M Ljin
  • Megan Palmer
  • Pete Podurgiel

Green beans; Can in boiling water bath?

 
pollinator
Posts: 379
Location: 2300' elev., southern oregon
126
forest garden fungi foraging trees food preservation cooking building solar woodworking wood heat homestead
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy,
15lbs. of fresh green beans =19 pints of Dilly Beans. Boiling water bath canning...been doing it for oh so many years...Still alive
 
master steward
Posts: 16298
Location: Pacific Wet Coast
10797
duck books chicken cooking food preservation ungarbage
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

randal cranor wrote: 15lbs. of fresh green beans =19 pints of Dilly Beans. Boiling water bath canning...been doing it for oh so many years...Still alive


The Dilly bean recipe I have calls for vinegar - is that true of yours? Vinegar is an acid and that makes the whole process safe.

Lime or lemon juice can be a substitute, but recipes will specifically exclude Meyer Lemons as they aren't acidic enough. Tomatoes used to be acidic enough to be safe as a salsa (or any recipe where you're added extra things that are low acid), but many modern varieties are lower in acid than they were 30 years ago before food production became industrialized and everything needed to taste the same all the time.

I need to find a local shop that carries the pH test strips so I can buy one in range of food safe for boiling water bath canning. I love making salsa, but I know it's on the edge. I add some vinegar, which is not traditional, but keeps it safe.
 
pollinator
Posts: 331
Location: Middlebury, Vermont zone 5a
116
forest garden books food preservation fiber arts medical herbs homestead
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes, I made 11 pints of peach salsa yesterday, and the recipe calls for only a 1/2 cup of vinegar.  To that, I also added a glug of lemon juice which wasn't in the recipe but it seemed like a good thing (and it was delicious!). All the other salsa recipes called for salt, but the peach one didn't have that as one of the ingredients. I think it must've been an oversight and added in a few teaspoons which made all the difference in taste. Last year, I didn't notice the omission until tasting my first jar! I plan to harvest another peck tomorrow and make another few batches. The Ball book specifically mentions not using white peaches because they're not acidic enough, so I figured adding some extra acidity to my Red Haven peaches (which are fine to can) in the form of lemon juice was just good insurance.  I eat the salsa like a side dish throughout the winter; sometimes a pint will be my lunch.  We've been fortunate with some cooler temperatures. It makes the process of working around steaming pots for hours possible!
 
gardener
Posts: 3950
Location: Western Slope Colorado.
1080
5
goat dog food preservation medical herbs solar greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey! Jay ,
Around here they sell little bottles/canisters of test strips at the brewing supply store… if you prefer local to online retailers.

It says Precision Labs on the label and a phone number:  1 800 733 0266.

One set is 4.6  to 6.2.

The other is 2.8 to 4.4

I bought both though the 2.8 to 4.4 covers the range for botulism free canning.  I’m have no idea why I thought I needed the other!
IMG_5474.jpeg
[Thumbnail for IMG_5474.jpeg]
 
randal cranor
pollinator
Posts: 379
Location: 2300' elev., southern oregon
126
forest garden fungi foraging trees food preservation cooking building solar woodworking wood heat homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy,
"
The Dilly bean recipe I have calls for vinegar - is that true of yours?"

Yes, I use vinegar when the recipe calls for it.
 
Jay Angler
master steward
Posts: 16298
Location: Pacific Wet Coast
10797
duck books chicken cooking food preservation ungarbage
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Thekla McDaniels wrote:Hey! Jay ,
Around here they sell little bottles/canisters of test strips at the brewing supply store…


Thanks Thekla. It never occurred to me to try the brew places. There's one fairly close.

And wrote:

I bought both though the 2.8 to 4.4 covers the range for botulism free canning.


I don't need more stuff around to confuse me, so if 2.8 to 4.4 stops botulism, that's what I'll get.
 
Thekla McDaniels
gardener
Posts: 3950
Location: Western Slope Colorado.
1080
5
goat dog food preservation medical herbs solar greening the desert
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jay,
Check somewhere reliable, but I think pH below 4 is safe for water bath canning at sea level, but it will be published somewhere that has done copious research.

I know i found it once when I grew a LOT of tomatillos and I wanted to add chilies and garlic and onion for salsa.  I found that pH number, and made salsa way down around 3.  Probably excessive, but yeah, I really want to be safe
 
Posts: 16
Location: Germany 7a
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You cannot buy pressure canners here in Germany. We process everything using the water bath method.
To do this, the beans are blanched for about 5 minutes and then immediately shocked in cold water. Next, pack them tightly into the jars, pour in cold water, seal the jars, and process the beans for a full 2 ​​hours at 100°C (timing begins once the contents of the jars reach a boil).
 
Thekla McDaniels
gardener
Posts: 3950
Location: Western Slope Colorado.
1080
5
goat dog food preservation medical herbs solar greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
https://www.pressurecanning.de/en/%C3%BCber-uns  

Will this help?  I can’t tell if you order or they have it in a store, but here’s text screenshots from their website
IMG_5482.png
[Thumbnail for IMG_5482.png]
IMG_5483.jpeg
[Thumbnail for IMG_5483.jpeg]
 
If you look closely at this tiny ad, you will see five bicycles and a naked woman:
Permaculture Voices 1, 2 and 3 - all 117 hours of video!
https://permies.com/t/voices123
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic