mold, fungi, what on earth is this??
Location: Kentucky 6b
Location: Cache Valley, zone 4b, Irrigated, 9" rain in badlands.
Location: Maine (zone 5)
posted 1 year ago
Looks like a slime mold of some sort. Most of them only show up for a few days before going back "underground". Given where it's coming from, I'd say you're best just to leave it alone. I don't think you can kill it. It's living within that wood and the surrounding ground. Likely, the entire wooden structure is colonized with the fungal mass and getting anything safe to penetrate it will be tough. That being said... it's gonna eat that wood eventually. It's also living in the surrounding ground which is hard to control too. For what it's worth, it's a rather nice looking specimen. Good luck