• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Pearl Sutton
stewards:
  • Beau Davidson
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Leigh Tate
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • John F Dean
  • Nancy Reading
  • Jay Angler
gardeners:
  • Jules Silverlock
  • Jordan Holland
  • Paul Fookes

Responsible animal selling

 
pollinator
Posts: 2882
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
495
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I sold 4 ducklings to a family who seemed very excited to be keeping ducks. This was about 2 weeks ago, maybe 3. I just saw an ad on Craigslist with the ducklings on it. So I emailed her and told her I would give her her money back if she wanted to return the ducklings. She then deleted the ad and hasn't communicated with me at all. This just seems.......really weird. I still have their phone number in my phone log, should I call them or let this drop? I realize I have no responsibility to take the ducks back but I'd rather they get returned to me if they aren't wanted.
 
Posts: 129
Location: Elgin, IL
3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
They probably would see it as kind gesture if you did a follow up call to see how everything was going and if they had any questions
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2882
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
495
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alex Veidel wrote:They probably would see it as kind gesture if you did a follow up call to see how everything was going and if they had any questions



I think ya missed the problem, they are trying to sell the ducklings and when I said I'd do a return they deleted the ad.
 
author & steward
Posts: 6019
Location: Cache Valley, zone 4b, Irrigated, 9" rain in badlands.
2582
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Buy a duck for $1, sell it for $2.

 
Posts: 724
Location: In a rain shadow - Fremont County, Southern CO
21
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
could also be that they dont want them, but dont want to be rude by asking to return them.
maybe you embarrassed them by finding it?

seems odd they deleted it and never responded though.


we are the same way. we always check to see if people are OK with the animals they bought from us.
we also let them know that we would take the animals back if they get in over their head or something.

 
Alex Veidel
Posts: 129
Location: Elgin, IL
3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, if they're trying to resell the ducklings just to make some money, then they probably won't talk to you and it's sorta out of your hands. If they were just having a hard time and were embarrassed about the ad, then they'll likely appreciate the call. You could just ignore the email and craigslist ad and act like you were going to follow up anyway. Also, it couldn't hurt to double check your send box. I've imagined all sorts of reasons why people didn't contact me back, only to find out the email never went out in the first place. The internet doesn't always work like it should
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2882
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
495
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Joseph Lofthouse wrote:
Buy a duck for $1, sell it for $2.



I sold them at the top of the price range. If that was their plan they are terrible at it!
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2882
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
495
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Alex Veidel wrote:Well, if they're trying to resell the ducklings just to make some money, then they probably won't talk to you and it's sorta out of your hands. If they were just having a hard time and were embarrassed about the ad, then they'll likely appreciate the call. You could just ignore the email and craigslist ad and act like you were going to follow up anyway. Also, it couldn't hurt to double check your send box. I've imagined all sorts of reasons why people didn't contact me back, only to find out the email never went out in the first place. The internet doesn't always work like it should



They are selling the ducklings for more but they are including the food, and other necessary stuff, like the feeder and waterer. I think they are just wanting to get rid of them for who knows what reason. I think they had to have seen my email because it was deleted right away. It's just weird......
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2882
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
495
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Kelly Smith wrote:could also be that they dont want them, but dont want to be rude by asking to return them.
maybe you embarrassed them by finding it?

seems odd they deleted it and never responded though.


we are the same way. we always check to see if people are OK with the animals they bought from us.
we also let them know that we would take the animals back if they get in over their head or something.



I'm not sure what happened. They told me they wanted ducklings because the wife was allergic to chicken eggs. I sold duck eggs to someone for the same reason so it made sense to me. I wonder if they find them too much work now or what. Either way I offered a full price return so I don't get why they just deleted it and stonewalled me.
 
pollinator
Posts: 872
Location: Porter, Indiana
118
trees
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
They might be wanting to sell everything as a complete package to recoup as much of the money they spent as possible after they found out ducks aren't for them. If they sell just the ducks to you, then they are left having to sell the supplies separately, and that will definitely be more hassle than the single sale they are looking for.

As for not responding, well, some people are just rude.
 
Look! It's Leonardo da Vinci! And he brought a tiny ad!
Tiny House Magazine (Issue 121)
https://permies.com/wiki/208685/Tiny-House-Magazine
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic