new video
hot off the press!  
    more about rocket
mass heaters here.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Newly open seed marketplace  RSS feed

 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello guys

Today I will introduce an online marketplace for trade of your all kinds of plant seeds. This marketplace has functions to sell, buy and give away on the online platform and in mobile. Also you can share your post with facebook and twitter.

Following is the opening notice.

-
Global seed marketplace: Breeds.me

The world is ready for speeding up expansion of gardener's world. So we founded the marketplace for people who are interested in gardening and planting. On this platform, you can enjoy the trading of your seeds. Our marketplace will offer free transaction fee (except for paypal fee) only until the user of our marketplace reaches 5,000.

Please visit http://breeds.me
Sign up and post your plant and seed freely.

We hope you to find your interest and be the first members for this new gardener's world.
-

I expect your opinion to this article and the website. Please don't hesitate to express your feeling. I will appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
 
Angelika Maier
pollinator
Posts: 961
Location: cool climate, Blue Mountains, Australia
6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A good idea. But your site is not global and you don't tell the rules. Do you pay for listing? Furthermore the site is completely empty, you click once on an empty site and never get back to it.
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Angelika Maier wrote:A good idea. But your site is not global and you don't tell the rules. Do you pay for listing? Furthermore the site is completely empty, you click once on an empty site and never get back to it.


Thanks for your compliment. Yes, now it is not global but i hope so. Actually this website was made yesterday and i still think it must be much more prepared.

I pay for this website hosting.

I'm afraid of what you said, and still i'm thinking about it. And i need people who can help me.

Thanks for your comment.

If you want to join my idea propagation, welcome.
 
David Livingston
steward
Posts: 3479
Location: Anjou ,France
163
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Samual Have you thought of the legal aspects ? It is forbidden to trade in certain plants because of the dangers of spreading disease. Imagine if I sent you some rice seeds for instance that brought a new disease or pest to Korea? I can imagine the authorities might want a word or two with you

David
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
David Livingston wrote:Samual Have you thought of the legal aspects ? It is forbidden to trade in certain plants because of the dangers of spreading disease. Imagine if I sent you some rice seeds for instance that brought a new disease or pest to Korea? I can imagine the authorities might want a word or two with you

David


Yeah, i also think it possibly might happen. However we can also take an action like sterilization simply with bleach, hydrogen peroxide , etc. i know the methode might not be standardized and may become more complicated for individuals.

I think It is not big deal if we try to find a solution. Yeah there must be tough way to go through.
 
David Livingston
steward
Posts: 3479
Location: Anjou ,France
163
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
May I make a suggestion . Instead of launching the site as it is put it on hold for a while.
1 Research the legality of such an effort in Korea first . I can tell you now that such a site could leave you open to prosecution in the EU if you do try to import seeds to the EU with a certified bio-sercurity document
2 Make a post on Permies and maybe other sites to see if there is any demand for such an adventure so that when you start you can have a number of people already offering seeds   rather than your one post , as Angela points out above its not the way to be successful .
3 Is a site like this the best way forward would another platform like face book be more appropriate ?

David
   
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
David Livingston wrote:May I make a suggestion . Instead of launching the site as it is put it on hold for a while.
1 Research the legality of such an effort in Korea first . I can tell you now that such a site could leave you open to prosecution in the EU if you do try to import seeds to the EU with a certified bio-sercurity document
2 Make a post on Permies and maybe other sites to see if there is any demand for such an adventure so that when you start you can have a number of people already offering seeds   rather than your one post , as Angela points out above its not the way to be successful .
3 Is a site like this the best way forward would another platform like face book be more appropriate ?

David
   

I sincerely appreciate your advice.

1. In Korea, there is a system for imported seed in order to quarantine only in case the importer report the seed for private purpose. If any problem is not found, the seed will be transfer to importer. Hower I don't know much about in EU case.

I think the research requires a lot of time. I'm going to search and study the legality issues. However i think it would be better to operate this website for Us domestic user for a while.

2 I entirely agree with your suggestions. My approach to gether users in many forums directly was wrong.

3 Yeah i know facebook I think this platform may offer better sorting and searching system than facebook.
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So i will change my notice a bit for user in US.
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello guys

Today I will introduce an online marketplace for trade of your all kinds of plant seeds. This marketplace has functions to sell, buy and give away on the online platform and in mobile. Also you can share your post with facebook and twitter.

Following is the opening notice.

-
Seed marketplace: Breeds.me

It's time to speed up expansion of gardener's world. So we founded the marketplace for people who are interested in gardening and planting. On this platform, you can enjoy the trading of your seeds. Our marketplace will offer free transaction fee (except for paypal fee) only until the user of our marketplace reaches 5,000.

Please visit http://breeds.me
Sign up and post your plant and seed freely.

We hope you to find your interest and be the first members for this new gardener's world.
-

I expect your opinion to this article and the website. Please don't hesitate to express your feeling. I will appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
-
Much better?πŸ˜‰
 
hans muster
Posts: 54
9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have seen a few seed exchange platforms. Most of them are nice lists for few friends which want to exchange seeds, but not usable beyond that.

The only online one I can recommend is
http://semeur.fr/
It is in french, and as a rule it is only for exchange, not selling. You can search for specific varieties, and then you see who has them available. And what else these persons have available, and what they are looking for.

The only flaw in this website is that you cannot select only by country, which would be helpful for legal reasons. But by looking at the profile you see in which country the semeur is.

If you have the capacity and time to make a website, maybe you could just translate the semeur site, so they can offer it in 2 languages? I do not know if they would agree.

Best
Hans
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hans muster wrote:Hi,

I have seen a few seed exchange platforms. Most of them are nice lists for few friends which want to exchange seeds, but not usable beyond that.

The only online one I can recommend is
http://semeur.fr/
It is in french, and as a rule it is only for exchange, not selling. You can search for specific varieties, and then you see who has them available. And what else these persons have available, and what they are looking for.

The only flaw in this website is that you cannot select only by country, which would be helpful for legal reasons. But by looking at the profile you see in which country the semeur is.

If you have the capacity and time to make a website, maybe you could just translate the semeur site, so they can offer it in 2 languages? I do not know if they would agree.

Best
Hans


Thanks for your information. I think it will be helpful if Breed.me survive in US market.
(Honestly i can't read french.😏)

Unfortunately there are no user living in US.
😭
 
r ranson
master steward
Posts: 6028
Location: Left Coast Canada
750
books chicken tiny house
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It's a nifty idea.  Could you tell me how your site differs from the seed saver exchange in the US, or seeds of diversity in Canada?

Most seed exchanges I've seen are within a country or agricultural zone.  They don't tend to be international because there are some pretty weird international laws about seeds, some of which result in criminal or bio-terrorism charges for the individual receiving unauthorised seeds.  Even within a country, there are some strict laws.  For example, the quarantine zone starts two farms down the road from me.  If that person sends me potatoes, then that person is risking a fine or even jail time.  In some US states, it is forbidden to grow certain citrus or cotton in a home garden because they can have a negative effect on commercial growing.  In some cases they harbour pests, in others, it can cause pollen contamination of commercial seed.

However, I do suspect there are international users in the Seed Savers Exchange.  They use it at their own risk and need to be fully aware of their local laws. 
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
R Ranson wrote:It's a nifty idea.  Could you tell me how your site differs from the seed saver exchange in the US, or seeds of diversity in Canada?

Most seed exchanges I've seen are within a country or agricultural zone.  They don't tend to be international because there are some pretty weird international laws about seeds, some of which result in criminal or bio-terrorism charges for the individual receiving unauthorised seeds.  Even within a country, there are some strict laws.  For example, the quarantine zone starts two farms down the road from me.  If that person sends me potatoes, then that person is risking a fine or even jail time.  In some US states, it is forbidden to grow certain citrus or cotton in a home garden because they can have a negative effect on commercial growing.  In some cases they harbour pests, in others, it can cause pollen contamination of commercial seed.

However, I do suspect there are international users in the Seed Savers Exchange.  They use it at their own risk and need to be fully aware of their local laws. 


Thanks for your comments.

This marketplace is actually not better than the websites you said. One difference is that the site manager who i am does not know much about the laws. So the marketplace could be born from my thought.

Now I think it will not go further if I dont have expert about the laws.

But as time goes by, gardening and planting for individual pleasures will be grown much I think. Then one might think the open place in order to trade their own products(seeds). In a sense I try to open the marketplace.

Now I agree that my preparation is quite unsatisfactory. So now I'm on a decision making step about the marketplace operating.

Is there anyone who can inspire me? Just kidding but now im seriousπŸ˜”
 
r ranson
master steward
Posts: 6028
Location: Left Coast Canada
750
books chicken tiny house
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think your idea is brilliant!  It's just the seed laws that suck.
You have great enthusiasm, so don't lose heart just yet. 

Maybe have a look at the seed exchanges that already exist and see how they get around work with the laws.  They've been at it a while, so that might be a good place to start researching.

Is there something you can do to make your idea stand out from the others that already exist?  Are you interested in perennials, or landrace seeds, or resilient seeds, or something else? 
 
Samuel Park
Posts: 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
R Ranson wrote:I think your idea is brilliant!  It's just the seed laws that suck.
You have great enthusiasm, so don't lose heart just yet. 

Maybe have a look at the seed exchanges that already exist and see how they get around work with the laws.  They've been at it a while, so that might be a good place to start researching.

Is there something you can do to make your idea stand out from the others that already exist?  Are you interested in perennials, or landrace seeds, or resilient seeds, or something else? 


Sorry for that the website will be stopped. Finally I concluded that my plan was not enough and I was not ready to setup all things correctly done.

In you guy's comments, I could find correct answer. Thanks.

Even the deficiency, few users signed up.

Thanks for all.
 
Viola Schultz
Posts: 39
Location: Zone 6 Hudson Valley
books dog hugelkultur
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Sam, I had bought digitalis and matthiola seeds on Etsy.com from seedsIT in Lithuania, multiple times. The seeds always come simply via snail mail packed in commercial envelopes. Perhaps, you talk to the folks who do it about how it is done. Wishing you all the best
 
F. Anton
Posts: 5
Location: Thailand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The idea is pretty cool, but as many here stated, you need to check the legal side of this idea.
I myself living in Asia last time bought some exotic seeds from US, ALL my seeds was confiscated at customs.
What I wanna say, it is uncertain globally trading seeds online. You have to resource all countries and all seeds you intended to work before go online with a platform like that.
OR
Just use tor hidden service without caring of any legal aspect. But you have to warn your traders that, seeds or plant parts can be confiscated by authorities in some countries.

Anyway, the idea is cool, you just need to work out the legal part of the business.
 
Chris Kridakorn-Odbratt
Posts: 3
Location: In a Jungle in Laos
fish food preservation forest garden
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ! Many years ago I was a member of 'Chileheads'. In those days, -80's and -90's, we swapped chile seeds, from all over the world. I got seeds from the US, South America etc., etc. I also sent seeds everywhere... I never had any problem, recieving or sending. We used snail-mail, plain envelopes, private address, no logos and such, with a small amount of seeds. I am located in Thailand. 'Chileheads' do still exist, but these days it is mostly about making the hottest sauces, salsas and such. If you want to contact them, the 'Chileheads' email posting is: Chile Heads List <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>  Please note, if you post, the mail will go out to everybody. Just checked - you must subscribe before you can post, see here:  http://globalgarden.com/Chile-Heads/list_info.phtml
 
His brain is the size of a cherry pit! About the size of this ad:
Video of all the permaculture design course and appropriate technology course (about 177 hours)
https://permies.com/wiki/65386/paul-wheaton/digital-market/Video-PDC-ATC-hours-HD
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!