I'm new here, and am seeking to create something that's distinct from the majority of eco-village/co-housing/intentional-community models that exist, and I believe it fulfills some needs and desires that many of us share (some of which I read in forums here. For example https://permies.com/t/40133/introvert-community
My vision is to develop land
into a type of eco-village/intentional community
, with some key distinctions:
1) each family owns or holds in perpetuity their own domain of maybe 10 acres which is demarcated and is theirs alone forever. This is not able to be sold. The idea is that they can completely grow their own food on their own domain to provide for their family and future generations of their family, using permaculture
principles, etc. And because it will be in their lineage forever, they will invest into the land a bit differently
2) each family builds their own house themselves using materials from the land (primarily), which would mean they would be mostly earth-houses like cob
and cob-bale houses (which are safe and easy for anyone to build).
3) there is a "natural" "wild" common ecosystem matrix around the domains to provide wildlife habitat, and other ecosystem services.
4) there is a large common area which would likely include a school (or homeschool co-op), community
meeting area, visitor center, large communal body of water
(lake or ocean/beach), large community pastureland and agricultural lands for any community food production, and more.
5) there are common principles such as no mechanization (vehicles can exist on the outskirts, to travel elsewhere), no plastic or poisonous substances of any kind (so groundwater and air is protected for everyone), no alcohol or recreational drugs, etc.
This would share some principles of "rewilding" where residents are fully meeting all their own needs on their own land, using earth-based "indigenous" skills rather than machines and appliances.
The intent would be to bring together individuals and families who want to create their own "conscious" homestead that is nestled into a larger community of people
who are also committed to a nature-based life.
They key to this (which to me addresses many issues that arise for some people in intentional communities) is that residents can choose to have as much or as little contact with others as they want. There are zero rules or expectations about how much time is spent with other members of the community and no one is obligated to "work" on common projects. To me, and just to generalize a little: most co-housing and eco-village models do not provide enough
land and the houses are too close together, and many intentional communities create many rules and expectations about social interactions and there is not a lot of sovereignty or privacy or independence. I personally would love to live in a place where meals are shared and work on communal projects is shared ONLY when I want to share in those activities. And I want to have my own land for my family where I can create my own gardens and projects that is completely my own territory. There are many intentional communities that seem so lovely and filled with amazing people, but I would personally feel restricted living there, almost enslaved by all the expectations and rules around doing so much together.
I have a child, and I have raised him in close connection to nature. My interest is in creating a place where there are many other families and children, that a fulfilling place for children to be--and that also has wise elders in residence and other individuals who are modeling healthy skills and conscious awareness and provide healthy adult models for all the children around.
If a group wanted to go in on the land, maybe at $30,000 each, with 50 members, that could buy say 1,000 acres for around $1M, and use $500,000 for the legal structure and common areas. 10 acres per person would leave 500 acres of common area. I have seen some amazing pieces of land that size in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, maybe California. Italy and Portugal are possible also.
Anyway, these are just my initial rough ideas. Maybe this does already exist and if so, please tell me where, so I can move there! I know there are communities like this in Russia because of the Anastasia ringing cedars books
. But I haven't found this manifested in a complete way elsewhere. Maybe vedrica? And I saw this other thread
with an interest in this idea
I welcome your thoughts!