Over the course of more than two years, we developed a 1.5 acre plot, some of the improvements thereon include: hundreds of feet of roundwood fencing with several beautiful hand-carved wooden gates, thousands of square feet of hugelkultur raised beds and berms, dozens of different species of established perennials (including comfrey, apple, apricot, raspberry, willow, rhubarb, sunchoke, sugar maple, and many more edible, medicinal, and support species,) several seasonal ponds, an earth-sheltered winter poultry coop and a movable summer poultry coop, an outdoor kitchen, an earth-sheltered tiny house with partly attached greenhouse, and a hand-sculpted cob tiny house with an earthen roof and rainwater catchment.
These improvements are being sold as-is. No guarantees. No refunds. No warranty express or implied. Buyer assumes all liability. No questions asked. No questions answered. Only the improvements are being sold, not the land on which they are located. Our remaining rent (paid until the end of 2017,) along with all of Kai's and my accumulated "fysh," "candy," and excavator hours will be included. Any questions regarding rent, "fysh," "candy," excavator hours, or ongoing costs to occupy the land should be directed to the landlord and self-described "tyrannical dictator" Paul Wheaton or his land manager Fred Tyler.
The bidding starts at $800. The minimum bid-raise is $50. The auction will end on Tuesday, September 19th at 1 pm mountain time, at which point the improvements will be sold to the highest bidder. If payment is not received from the highest bidder within 24 hours, then the improvements will be sold to the next highest bidder, and so on, etc.
Thanks Nicole. Wishing you the best with all your ventures as well.
A thought, this might be a good opportunity for someone who plans to attend the rocket mass heater innovators event or another event at wheaton labs. Someone could break even in a couple weeks by saving on hotel costs alone. They would have a house to stay in and could rent out the other house to other attendees.
Also, since this opportunity is available only for a limited time, (the auction ends next week,) maybe someone could put it in the daily-ish...
I see incredible value here for what you are asking. The forum threads from the last 1.5 years prepare any potential buyer with more details than any conventional real estate listing could ever hope to.
So no bids? OK, I'm gonna pitch an alternative strategy but I'll need help.
The assumptive punch list:
• you guys are in a place in your life where you are ready to make a move. that's cool, I have no interest in asking the age old "soooo... Why are you selling?" Question, it doesn't matter to me.
• You need the money to facilitate this next move. I get that.
The non-assumptive punch list:
• You will both continue to be awesome. I have no question that this is the case.
• you have done a staggering amount of impressive work with very low capitalization and shared the journey, I can't thank you enough for that.
• Realizing I don't have $800 to open the bidding, nor do I have the time to go to the Lab if I did, I slept on this situation with the specific question: "Hey Josh, what can you spend $100 on at your farm that could do more good for the world than what these two have proved they can do?" I woke up satisfied that there wasn't anything I could think of to answer that question.
So the pitch:
• I will commit $100 to you.
• I ask only that you document your future adventures in a way similar to what you have done here. I do not require this documentation. You choose the platform and regularity that you post, or if you post at all.
•You maintain the control of the improvements at the lab, and keep any money or barter you get from managing those improvements. This offer stands and will be honored even if you get bids over $800 for the improvements, no strings attached. I'll support you with my pledge even if you find a buyer.
• Just to be clear - this is a one way commitment, I'll paypal it ASAP if you want.
•I said above I'd need help. If anyone else feels the same and can in any way join in please do. Either commit here or Purple Moosage these guys directly, or ask them for direct email, etc. Please consider doing what you can. $1/$5/$20 (and up) can really stack up and make a difference to two proven leaders who have shown what can be done with grit and commitment.
http://www.1880farm.com Central Texas, USDA Zone 8b, Temperate Grassland, 34″ annual rain, 52 acres of bottom land, with approx 4-5 acres in young woodland and 2.2 acres in ponds (or tanks, as they are called in Texas)
Thanks Josh! What a generous offer! And thank you for the kind words of support and encouragement! I'll send you a paypal address privately.
I'm looking forward to documenting my experiences again. We're currently looking into options for the right platform. Hopefully I'll be able to share a link from here to our new blog.
The adventure continues, and I'm confident that we'll find the right piece of land with which to sculpt, build, and grow our visions of abundance and harmony.
$800 is what I initially paid to come out here as an "ant," hence why I felt it would be a fitting amount at which to start the auction. I'd like to think that the improvements added some value on top of that, but I guess we'll see what the market thinks.
I've certainly received far more of value than that already, in terms of experience, confidence, and knowledge, not to mention generous gifts of tools, seeds, and support. And all the amazing friendships I've made are of incalculable value! The future looks bright and overflowing with possibility! I can't wait to share it with y'all!