• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
stewards:
  • Mike Jay
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Devaka Cooray
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Dave Burton
  • Dan Boone
gardeners:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Mandy Launchbury-Rainey
  • Mike Barkley
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I really love Japanese plums!

The tangy skin combined with the sweet flesh makes them one of my favorite fruits!

What varieties do you enjoy the most?!
COMMENTS:
 
garden master
Posts: 790
Location: Zone 7b/8a Temperate Humid Subtropical, Eastern NC, US
207
hugelkultur forest garden fish trees food preservation cooking bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've heard Santa Rosa is close to perfection, and I have a Santa Rosa plum that will hopefully produce its first crop this year.

Is anyone growing it that can attest to that, or have another really good variety?
 
pollinator
Posts: 433
Location: Bothell, WA - USA
31
cattle forest garden trees earthworks food preservation solar
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I like Santa Rosa.  I like Satsuma a little better on the flavor side.

For the Pacific Northwest which can befinicky for pollination of Japanese plums, I have best success with Shiro plums, and I'm never disappointed with those big sweet white plums.
 
Steve Thorn
garden master
Posts: 790
Location: Zone 7b/8a Temperate Humid Subtropical, Eastern NC, US
207
hugelkultur forest garden fish trees food preservation cooking bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've heard Satsuma is really sweet and not tart, is that true?

I've got a Shiro planted and am excited about tasting the fruit soon!
 
Eric Thompson
pollinator
Posts: 433
Location: Bothell, WA - USA
31
cattle forest garden trees earthworks food preservation solar
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Steve Thorn wrote:I've heard Satsuma is really sweet and not tart, is that true?




Satsuma is sweet and also has a strong flavor profile.  You an tell they are ripe when you have to eat them over the sink
 
Steve Thorn
garden master
Posts: 790
Location: Zone 7b/8a Temperate Humid Subtropical, Eastern NC, US
207
hugelkultur forest garden fish trees food preservation cooking bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Eric Thompson wrote:Satsuma is sweet and also has a strong flavor profile.  You can tell they are ripe when you have to eat them over the sink



Very neat! I love it when a fruit is that juicy!
 
Posts: 26
Location: coastal northern nor cal
4
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have 20 plum trees and by far my favorite Japanese plum is Beauty.  I call it a kitchen sink plum because it is so juicy you will wear it if not bending over Personally I only have disdain for Santa Rosa, if I'm mowing and there's low hanging fruit to grab I'll have a bite to remind me why I'm not impressed but it is nothing I would go out of my way to eat.  Satsuma is pretty darn good it is a drier,(than Beauty) meatier plum.
 
pollinator
Posts: 580
Location: Southern Oregon
91
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I absolutely love Santa Rosa plums, but it's the plum I grew up with. Ours are super juicy, very good sweet/tart mix, excellent for ginger plum sauce for roasted duck, and very easy to grow. I like that they are plum colored, making jams and whatnot with other colors plums never have quite the appeal for me. I also like the apricot/plum crosses for that similar sweet/tart flavor, both pluots and apriums, but that's another story.
 
Steve Thorn
garden master
Posts: 790
Location: Zone 7b/8a Temperate Humid Subtropical, Eastern NC, US
207
hugelkultur forest garden fish trees food preservation cooking bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

gina kansas wrote:I have 20 plum trees and by far my favorite Japanese plum is Beauty.  I call it a kitchen sink plum because it is so juicy you will wear it if not bending over Personally I only have disdain for Santa Rosa, if I'm mowing and there's low hanging fruit to grab I'll have a bite to remind me why I'm not impressed but it is nothing I would go out of my way to eat.  Satsuma is pretty darn good it is a drier,(than Beauty) meatier plum.



I've heard Beauty blooms pretty late too, dodging late frosts!
Has that been true for you if you're growing it?
 
Steve Thorn
garden master
Posts: 790
Location: Zone 7b/8a Temperate Humid Subtropical, Eastern NC, US
207
hugelkultur forest garden fish trees food preservation cooking bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Stacy Witscher wrote:I absolutely love Santa Rosa plums, but it's the plum I grew up with. Ours are super juicy, very good sweet/tart mix, excellent for ginger plum sauce for roasted duck, and very easy to grow. I like that they are plum colored, making jams and whatnot with other colors plums never have quite the appeal for me. I also like the apricot/plum crosses for that similar sweet/tart flavor, both pluots and apriums, but that's another story.



I love that juicy sweet/tart taste!

I never thought about using them in cooking, that sounds really good!

I like the pluots too, they have such amazing flavor!
 
Steve Thorn
garden master
Posts: 790
Location: Zone 7b/8a Temperate Humid Subtropical, Eastern NC, US
207
hugelkultur forest garden fish trees food preservation cooking bee homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I heard recently that Beauty is really adaptable too, doing well in a large growing area, blooms for a long period, is self fertile, and productive, which I'm always glad to hear!
 
Maybe he went home and went to bed. And took this tiny ad with him:
permaculture bootcamp - learn permaculture through a little hard work
https://permies.com/wiki/bootcamp
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!