• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Mike Haasl
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • Joylynn Hardesty
  • Dave Burton
  • Joseph Lofthouse
master gardeners:
  • jordan barton
  • Greg Martin
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Ash Jackson
  • Kate Downham

Coughing pig

 
pollinator
Posts: 2393
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
355
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I brought home 2 AGH piglets last fall. One of them coughed and threw up, which caused me great concern. It stopped though. I figured maybe it choked and that was it. Now that it's cold this pig is coughing again. No throwing up this time. Is it because I feed them straight in the dirt? Or is this a BIG problem?
 
pollinator
Posts: 154
Location: Saskatchewan
37
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

elle sagenev wrote:I brought home 2 AGH piglets last fall. One of them coughed and threw up, which caused me great concern. It stopped though. I figured maybe it choked and that was it. Now that it's cold this pig is coughing again. No throwing up this time. Is it because I feed them straight in the dirt? Or is this a BIG problem?



Do they also poop where you feed them? Pigs naturally root so eating some dirt should be fine as long as it is not contaminated with anything. My guess is you feed them on clean dirt.

If the other piglet is not affected it is probably not something contagious. There could be something wrong with its lungs that the cold triggers. If its condition does not get worse I suggest growing it to butcher size them butchering it. Don't keep it as breeding stock in case this is a problem it can pass on.

If it does not eat, drink, or gain weight find a livestock vet or someone with more pig experience to talk to.
 
pollinator
Posts: 1563
Location: Victoria BC
219
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Where are you located? Ie, how cold is cold, and is it wet?

Coughing how often, for how long each time?
 
gardener
Posts: 3751
Location: latitude 47 N.W. montana zone 6A
1027
cat pig rocket stoves
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Elle;   Feeding your pigs in the dirt is OK .

A coughing pig could be pneumonia.  A trick taught to me be an old timer . Try giving them a partially burnt log to chew on.  The char seems to help them.
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2393
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
355
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Leora Laforge wrote:

elle sagenev wrote:I brought home 2 AGH piglets last fall. One of them coughed and threw up, which caused me great concern. It stopped though. I figured maybe it choked and that was it. Now that it's cold this pig is coughing again. No throwing up this time. Is it because I feed them straight in the dirt? Or is this a BIG problem?



Do they also poop where you feed them? Pigs naturally root so eating some dirt should be fine as long as it is not contaminated with anything. My guess is you feed them on clean dirt.

If the other piglet is not affected it is probably not something contagious. There could be something wrong with its lungs that the cold triggers. If its condition does not get worse I suggest growing it to butcher size them butchering it. Don't keep it as breeding stock in case this is a problem it can pass on.

If it does not eat, drink, or gain weight find a livestock vet or someone with more pig experience to talk to.



They are in a pretty big area. I only feed them during the winter when they can't forage anything. There is poop on the ground. I put the feed in the cleanest places but yeah, there is poop.

I won't breed that one now. She is the same size as her sister. She seems healthy other than the coughing.
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2393
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
355
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Dillon Nichols wrote:Where are you located? Ie, how cold is cold, and is it wet?

Coughing how often, for how long each time?



I'm in Wyoming. It was -22 last time she was coughing but that's as cold as it's gotten.

Seems sporadic, the coughing. She'll do a couple hacks and then eat some more. Couple more hacking coughs.
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2393
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
355
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

thomas rubino wrote:Hi Elle;   Feeding your pigs in the dirt is OK .

A coughing pig could be pneumonia.  A trick taught to me be an old timer . Try giving them a partially burnt log to chew on.  The char seems to help them.



I will try that thanks!
 
gardener
Posts: 6671
Location: Arkansas - Zone 7B/8A stoney, sandy loam soil pH 6.5
1322
hugelkultur dog forest garden duck fish fungi hunting books chicken writing homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
AGH are prone to pneumonia issues, try the charcoal trick but if that doesn't work then go the feed store and buy the antibiotic, it only takes a few days for a hog to go from well to dead with pneumonia (ask me how I know).
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2393
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
355
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Bryant RedHawk wrote:AGH are prone to pneumonia issues, try the charcoal trick but if that doesn't work then go the feed store and buy the antibiotic, it only takes a few days for a hog to go from well to dead with pneumonia (ask me how I know).



She's been doing it since I got her in September. Still pneumonia as a possibility? We have antibiotics in the fridge so I could stab her in the butt right now if needed.
 
Posts: 30
Location: wet tropics in Oz
4
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Interesting, we have a goat that coughs also. Since he was approx 2 months old, and he is 6 months at time of writing this, we had him 1 month before coughing started. He was supposed to be our alpha male for breeding and is an adorkable miniature nubian cross goat.
In the beginning his cough sounded vicious. We gave him oral vitamin C and extra attention (pats and snacks from our garden) and the cough lessened but never left. He is healthy in every other way, and the local goat expert vet (just by phone thankfully not a paid consult) advised to monitor the goat and if nothing else seems wrong basically disregard the coughing. Hmph. Also vet said vit C is produced by goats so dosing him would have done nothing to help, blah blah.
Good advice here about possibly not breeding him. I feel he may have snuffled something non edible/dissoluble as a young curious kid that may be stuck somewhere in the airway. Vet thought that this is possible but more likely an allergy, yeah well seasons have changed now so unlikely a plant allergy.
P9240106.JPG
[Thumbnail for P9240106.JPG]
The front tan goat is the cougher. Adorkable!
 
elle sagenev
pollinator
Posts: 2393
Location: Zone 5 Wyoming
355
kids duck forest garden chicken pig bee greening the desert homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Elanor Pog wrote:Interesting, we have a goat that coughs also. Since he was approx 2 months old, and he is 6 months at time of writing this, we had him 1 month before coughing started. He was supposed to be our alpha male for breeding and is an adorkable miniature nubian cross goat.
In the beginning his cough sounded vicious. We gave him oral vitamin C and extra attention (pats and snacks from our garden) and the cough lessened but never left. He is healthy in every other way, and the local goat expert vet (just by phone thankfully not a paid consult) advised to monitor the goat and if nothing else seems wrong basically disregard the coughing. Hmph. Also vet said vit C is produced by goats so dosing him would have done nothing to help, blah blah.
Good advice here about possibly not breeding him. I feel he may have snuffled something non edible/dissoluble as a young curious kid that may be stuck somewhere in the airway. Vet thought that this is possible but more likely an allergy, yeah well seasons have changed now so unlikely a plant allergy.



My in laws have a dog allergic to people so..... maybe it's you LOL
 
Posts: 9
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The pig could have worms, it is coughing because the worms are moving from airways to stomach as part of its life cycle. If prolonged period of sporadic coughing with no major deterioration in condition consider worms. Easy to treat with antibiotics, either through medicated feed, water or a shot. If it is worms and it goes untreated it can build up the worm egg population in the soil, like I said before do some more reading/research about it.
gift
 
100th Issue of Permaculture Magazine
will be released to subscribers in: soon!
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic