Betty Montgomery wrote:Gas prices are forcing this question as well as my wish to harvest the grass/weeds that are growing in my front and back yards to feed my goats. The question is: How hard is it on the body to use a scythe to mow an area? I guess you need some personal info to answer that if you know. My physical problems are bone on bone arthritis in both knees and bad feet. Is the "mowers shuffel" that I've seen on video's of people using scythes likely to hurt or even help such an ailment.
Mostly I just want to get the grass/weeds to my goats etc. with out too much work or using gas. If I had fencing I could just put them out there, I know. Unfortunately, I also have stuff growing there I want to harvest for my table that they would munch down.
I'd appreciate any information on this.
Peony Jardine wrote:Any helpful info on clearing bush with a scythe? My land is sort of uneven,hilly, rocky, etc.
In addition, any helpful tips on sharpening my scythe would be appreciated. I stopped using it late last year when I got a rotator cuff injury and I got tired of waiting for my family members to take up the scythe and/or sharpen the dang thing.
Ray Cover wrote:I have a few questions here too.
This looks like fun. I have kinda one of those weird sense of humors and somewhat eccentric taste. SO my interest is not really as much "green" as for the exercise and cool factor. Not to mention enjoying the looks on the neighbors faces
I have watched several of the videos on you tube. I live in town on a full 1 acre lot which is mostly grass. Living in town I have to keep my yard to a certain standard or the neighbors are calling city hall and complaining about the bum on third street that doesn't properly trim his hard.
Here are a few practical questions about using a Scythe.
1. can you mow grass in a yard type situation and achieve a nice manicured look or are they primarily for harvesting standing crops and you end up with an uneven or choppy grass surface?
2. Can you realistically trim around trees, chain link fence etc. or would I still need a weed trimmer for those type things.
3. Is it really efficient time wise. How long can I expect it to take to mow 1 acre of grass with a scythe? It takes me about an hour and a half with the mower and another hour with the string trimmer now.
4. what about tight places and corners?
5. About how much do they cost?