This tree has been in our garden since before we moved in. We didn’t notice it for years initially, as it had grown right up through the canopy and got lost. We thinned around it, and coppiced it down to ground level, and it fortunately sent up half a dozen new vigorous shoots.
My trusty plant ID app can’t figure it out, and no one who has been to the site has had a clue.
Please help me out!
Moderator, Treatment Free Beekeepers group on Facebook.
By "coppice" I assume you mean cut it back down to the ground? Anyway:
- How tall was it before you cut it?
- Single trunk or multiple stems?
- What diameter?
- What was the overall shape, size, of the plant?
- Thick foliage, or not?
- Shed all its leaves come cold weather?
- What soil/water is it liking?
- Any "bad habits" you noticed? (aggressive seed sprouting, lots of large, sticky, stinky or otherwise unpleasant seeds covering the area, etc).
I'm interested, assuming we get a positive ID, because I need something tree-like, but not huge, for some landscaping. Starting the search...