This Hugelbed design is for strawberry growing. To get a jump-start, I filled the top with purchased soil (on cardboard, not pictured.) The objective is to let the strawberry runners from year one cascade down into the next tier for next years berries and so on.
I used copper treated timber after a lot of reading to make sure that would be safe. The layers on the bottom tiers are logs>twigs>chickenpoop>grass>wood chips>compost>grass>wood chips. The only issue so far is the standard one with container plants: the top tier of soil dries out rather quickly (that top layer stood alone for a couple months, so hopefully it stays more moist now that the rest is filled.)
I had hoped to get this done sooner in the year so there would be enough decomposition into soil in tier two so the runners would have a home…. but that didn’t happen. Some of the berry crowns didn’t survive so I guess this year I’ll just let the runners fill in the blank spots on the top tier.
Good looking project Matt. No matter what you do your growing medium will settle. Give it some time and see how much more you need to add before planting. It’s a common mistake and one I’ve made as well.