gift
My PEP Badge Tracker: An easier way to track your PEP Badge Progress
will be released to subscribers in: soon!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Nicole Alderman
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
stewards:
  • paul wheaton
  • Mike Haasl
  • Burra Maluca
master gardeners:
  • Greg Martin
  • jordan barton
  • Carla Burke
  • Leigh Tate
gardeners:
  • Jay Angler
  • John F Dean
  • Steve Thorn

can i block unknown texts during certain hours?

 
steward
Posts: 34539
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
hugelkultur trees chicken wofati bee woodworking
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The text spammers are now bold enough to text me in the middle of the night.

I wonder if I can configure my phone (android) to make no sound for texts from unknown numbers between 9:30pm and 5:30am.  ??

 
pioneer
Posts: 152
12
chicken wood heat greening the desert
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I believe you want the do not disturb function, you can then place exceptions that would be allowed through....never done it before so i cannot be more specific
 
ben heidorn
pioneer
Posts: 152
12
chicken wood heat greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
On a side note....I've never had any problems with rob calls or junk emails until i signed up for a Walgreens loyalty card! Never shopping there again.
 
gardener
Posts: 1262
Location: PNW
717
trees books food preservation cooking writing homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ben is correct.

If you look at your phone's sound settings, you can find and set up Do Not Disturb with all the specifics.

Mine is set up to turn on and off at specific times every day (you can also turn it on earlier for a one off if you want) with no text alerts while it's on, but phone calls from my favorite contacts or unknown callers allowed if they call twice within fifteen minutes. It's worked great.
 
Posts: 21
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've known people who would turn on the airplane mode when going to bed for the night. then turn it off in the morning. then there's me. I have haya caller id. it block's most call's and text. I got 3 calls from a unknown number last night. then woke up this morning to 3 text mesages about a dodge pickup and something else. I used haya to report it. then I blocked the number.
 
pollinator
Posts: 598
127
tiny house food preservation cooking rocket stoves homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My solution was to have two phones.

1)   I use for normal stuff, and I give this number to select few.

2)   This phone is my "Bat phone"    only those that I trust to not give this number to anyone gets this phone.    I keep this phone on and is a direct line to me.   About 4 people have this number.



Here in Florida the government sells our information to others,  it is the reason I do not give the license bureau   my phone number when they ask for it as they sell it.   They can have my mailing address.
 
Posts: 108
Location: Southern Utah
21
chicken building homestead
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

paul wheaton wrote:The text spammers are now bold enough to text me in the middle of the night.

I wonder if I can configure my phone (android) to make no sound for texts from unknown numbers between 9:30pm and 5:30am.  ??



Can you set your phone to Not Ring/Vibrate for any unknown caller?  I only answer my phone if it is someone in my address book.  Unknown callers are ignored to go to voicemail.  If they leave a message of importance I will return the call, if no message is left the number gets added to a contact named "Spam" which is set as BLOCKED so they can't bother me again.

If you can set your contacts to have a ringtone you should be able to have all others (unknown caller) set to silence.
 
ben heidorn
pioneer
Posts: 152
12
chicken wood heat greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I like the idea of turning a contact into a spam folder...however wouldn't it get tiring adding numbers to it,  seeing as how they use random redailers that use other folks phone numbers? Perhaps the phone to only ring if the number is already stored as a contact would be the best bet.  
 
Michael Fundaro
Posts: 108
Location: Southern Utah
21
chicken building homestead
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

ben heidorn wrote:I like the idea of turning a contact into a spam folder...however wouldn't it get tiring adding numbers to it,  seeing as how they use random redailers that use other folks phone numbers? Perhaps the phone to only ring if the number is already stored as a contact would be the best bet.  



You can either answer all the unknown calls and yell at them, or you can ignore them, and after they don't leave a legitimate message, add them to a spam folder.  
That is that hard part?

If I block them and they can't call me again, they can't call me again from that number.   What is harder?  Answering a Spam call, or ignoring the call and blocking it?
 
ben heidorn
pioneer
Posts: 152
12
chicken wood heat greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michael Fundaro wrote:

ben heidorn wrote:I like the idea of turning a contact into a spam folder...however wouldn't it get tiring adding numbers to it,  seeing as how they use random redailers that use other folks phone numbers? Perhaps the phone to only ring if the number is already stored as a contact would be the best bet.  



You can either answer all the unknown calls and yell at them, or you can ignore them, and after they don't leave a legitimate message, add them to a spam folder.  
That is that hard part?

If I block them and they can't call me again, they can't call me again from that number.   What is harder?  Answering a Spam call, or ignoring the call and blocking it?



Tiresome, not hard....anyways I do answer occasionally. My name is Jack Mehoff and I drive some ridiculously expensive almost new vehicle with almost a half a million miles on it.  
gift
 
My PEP Badge Tracker: An easier way to track your PEP Badge Progress
will be released to subscribers in: soon!
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic