• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education skip experiences global resources cider press projects digital market permies.com pie forums private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Anne Miller
  • Pearl Sutton
  • r ranson
stewards:
  • Leigh Tate
  • paul wheaton
  • Nicole Alderman
master gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Beau Davidson
  • Jay Angler
  • John F Dean
  • Nancy Reading
gardeners:
  • thomas rubino
  • Casie Becker
  • Mike Barkley

Difficulties using the forum properly

 
Posts: 14
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello

I have been having trouble posting on a topic that interests me. What happens is that since I don't know how to write acceptable posts, they get deleted. Ideally, I would like to learn how to do it, so that I can post without clashing with the forum

The problem is that since my posts are now gone, there is no example I can give. So that someone could explain me exactly what I'm doing wrong, so that I could craft the message into being acceptable. Maybe I could write a new message here, so that it could be inspected before posting it?
 
master steward & author
Posts: 27144
Location: Left Coast Canada
8718
4
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 10
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
publishing standards
be nice
leaving room for other people's ideas
censorship

Without actually looking at your history, a big thing that trips up people in the Singles forum is when they try to post things that belong in the cider press
 
r ranson
master steward & author
Posts: 27144
Location: Left Coast Canada
8718
4
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The volunteer staff are encouraged to remove anything that doesn't meet publishing standards, silently!  

But we are human and it is possible someone pressed the wrong button by mistake.  So I had a look through your history and found a post that was removed.  It began: "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs."  And that's as far as I needed to read to know that it was removed correctly.  

Having a look at other posts, it looks like they are removed for being off-topic and/or cider press materials.  

To the above links I add https://permies.com/t/106410/discussion-questions-comments-moderation-Tinkering
 
Michaell White
Posts: 14
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

r ranson wrote:The volunteer staff are encouraged to remove anything that doesn't meet publishing standards, silently!  

But we are human and it is possible someone pressed the wrong button by mistake.  So I had a look through your history and found a post that was removed.  It began: "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs."  And that's as far as I needed to read to know that it was removed correctly.  

Having a look at other posts, it looks like they are removed for being off-topic and/or cider press materials.  

To the above links I add https://permies.com/t/106410/discussion-questions-comments-moderation-Tinkering



For example, the post that I wrote that started "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs". The problem with this phrase by standards of Permies, is the word "fat" and that I state it as a fact?
 
r ranson
master steward & author
Posts: 27144
Location: Left Coast Canada
8718
4
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Read the threads I linked to. They explain what kind of content we publish on permies.
 
master pollinator
Posts: 3118
Location: 4b
1006
dog forest garden trees bee building
  • Likes 15
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michaell White wrote:

r ranson wrote:The volunteer staff are encouraged to remove anything that doesn't meet publishing standards, silently!  

But we are human and it is possible someone pressed the wrong button by mistake.  So I had a look through your history and found a post that was removed.  It began: "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs."  And that's as far as I needed to read to know that it was removed correctly.  

Having a look at other posts, it looks like they are removed for being off-topic and/or cider press materials.  

To the above links I add https://permies.com/t/106410/discussion-questions-comments-moderation-Tinkering



For example, the post that I wrote that started "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs". The problem with this phrase by standards of Permies, is the word "fat" and that I state it as a fact?



I'll try to help explain. Keep in mind, I'm not a moderator here, so these thoughts do not represent the forum or moderators in any way, they are simply one member's opinion.

If you honestly can't understand that you may offend a lot of people with that sentence, I fear you will not like it here. It isn't just that you used "fat" or that you stated it as fact, although yes, those are both problems. The entire sentence is offensive. I also don't believe it to be true. One of the ideas of the forum is to leave room for other people's opinions, and that doesn't seem to.

I didn't have a chance to read your post before it got deleted, but I'm struggling to try to come up with anything permaculture related that couldn't have been discussed without that statement.

I'm sure the threads that were posted for you to read will explain everything you need to know in great detail, but I'll give you my quick summary, as I understand it. Be nice, don't post things that will likely offend another forum member, and discuss things directly permaculture related. It's hard to offend people by asking how close together plant cabbages, what bushes do well in an apple tree guild, or the proper spacing for the rafters in your greenhouse for a 12" snow load.
 
Michaell White
Posts: 14
  • Likes 2 Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Trace Oswald wrote:

Michaell White wrote:

r ranson wrote:The volunteer staff are encouraged to remove anything that doesn't meet publishing standards, silently!  

But we are human and it is possible someone pressed the wrong button by mistake.  So I had a look through your history and found a post that was removed.  It began: "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs."  And that's as far as I needed to read to know that it was removed correctly.  

Having a look at other posts, it looks like they are removed for being off-topic and/or cider press materials.  

To the above links I add https://permies.com/t/106410/discussion-questions-comments-moderation-Tinkering



For example, the post that I wrote that started "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs". The problem with this phrase by standards of Permies, is the word "fat" and that I state it as a fact?



I'll try to help explain. Keep in mind, I'm not a moderator here, so these thoughts do not represent the forum or moderators in any way, they are simply one member's opinion.

If you honestly can't understand that you may offend a lot of people with that sentence, I fear you will not like it here. It isn't just that you used "fat" or that you stated it as fact, although yes, those are both problems. The entire sentence is offensive. I also don't believe it to be true. One of the ideas of the forum is to leave room for other people's opinions, and that doesn't seem to.

I didn't have a chance to read your post before it got deleted, but I'm struggling to try to come up with anything permaculture related that couldn't have been discussed without that statement.

I'm sure the threads that were posted for you to read will explain everything you need to know in great detail, but I'll give you my quick summary, as I understand it. Be nice, don't post things that will likely offend another forum member, and discuss things directly permaculture related. It's hard to offend people by asking how close together plant cabbages, what bushes do well in an apple tree guild, or the proper spacing for the rafters in your greenhouse for a 12" snow load.



I'm trying, but having a really hard time understanding what you're trying to explain me
So even if I wrote "I think and I believe, that the whole western world, is controlled by capitalist oligarchs( in my humble opinion )", it would still be inappropriate right? Because you say that the whole phrase is offensive
 
master pollinator
Posts: 1081
Location: BC Interior, Zone 6-7
338
forest garden tiny house books
  • Likes 9
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michaell White wrote:

For example, the post that I wrote that started "The "western world" is fully controlled by fat capitalist oligarchs". The problem with this phrase by standards of Permies, is the word "fat" and that I state it as a fact?



The problem with it is that it's political. Political discussions can be inflammatory, so they're limited to the forum called the cider press
 
r ranson
master steward & author
Posts: 27144
Location: Left Coast Canada
8718
4
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michaell White wrote:

I'm trying, but having a really hard time understanding what you're trying to explain me



r ranson wrote:a big thing that trips up people in the Singles forum is when they try to post things that belong in the cider press




Please read the links i provided.   They go a long way to explaining what we publish and what we do not.
 
gardener
Posts: 716
Location: Gulgong, NSW, Australia (Cold Zone 9B, Hot Zone 6) UTC +10
305
2
hugelkultur cat fungi chicken earthworks food preservation cooking bee building solar homestead
  • Likes 5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jan has put it well.  One of the Permies.com things is be nice.  Posts of a political, religious, or about drugs, chemicals and toxic yuck,  are what are called cider press topics.  So in short, until you have access to cider press it is best to avoid phrases like "fat capitalist oligarchs"  which can be seen as not nice, truthy, political, or inflammatory to say the least.  The other thing about Permies is that any post must usually allow for others to comment or express an alternate view.  

I got caught out with this early on.  If it is your opinion use phrases like "in my opinion"  or "I have found that", your posts will enable others to agree, comment or not agree.  As all the staff are volunteers, nice posts makes it much easier to get the real work done.
Hope to see some great stuff from you in the future.  If in doubt just ask.  The Pioneers, Pollinators, Gardeners and Stewards are only too willing to help.  Also, go to the links R. Ranson put above.  She is really good at helping new Permies folk with getting their head around writing good posts
Cheers
 
Trace Oswald
master pollinator
Posts: 3118
Location: 4b
1006
dog forest garden trees bee building
  • Likes 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Michaell White wrote:
I'm trying, but having a really hard time understanding what you're trying to explain me
So even if I wrote "I think and I believe, that the whole western world, is controlled by capitalist oligarchs( in my humble opinion )", it would still be inappropriate right? Because you say that the whole phrase is offensive



Maybe just don't discuss political views at all and just talk about more hands-on real world permaculture topics?  That's what permies was designed for.  I think people here generally want to discuss how to grow things, how to live in cooperation with nature, how to make the place you live better, and how to influence others to do the same, rather than hear about how fucked up the world is.  For that, we can just watch the news.  Permies for many people is a place to escape from the bad things in the world, and to focus on the good, and what we can do to make it even better.  Time spent building a rocket stove or a frog pond is time better spent the worrying about capitalism, socialism, communism, or some other ism.

That said, I'm going out to make a batch of charcoal to be made into biochar, to turn my compost heap, and to play with my new baby chicks so they like being handled.  I hope you find a way to interact here that is enjoyable for you and for everyone else.
 
Michaell White
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
So the issue with the first post, was that it contained politics. It indeed had a lot of politics in it, about capitalism and feminism

My second post didn't contain politics I think, and it was a lot more hopeful. In my second post, I offered what in my opinion were solutions to the issue. My solutions were not political. But since the topic was about the problems with dating today, and not about solutions to the problem, of having a massive amount of single people, I guess my post was deleted for being off-topic?
 
r ranson
master steward & author
Posts: 27144
Location: Left Coast Canada
8718
4
books chicken cooking fiber arts sheep writing
  • Likes 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I checked the links I gave above and they do work.  

They answer this question.  Asking people to explain again what is already explained clearly is starting to get old.  People have been very patient with you, but you also need to put some effort in to show us you are really trying to understand instead of just complaining in a way that pretends like you are asking questions.  

It would be a good idea to read the links and if you have any further questions, ask the question in a way that shows you have read the contents of the above links.

Please remember that the people here are VOLUNTEERING their time to help.  Be respectful of that.  
 
I claim this furniture in the name of The Ottoman Empire! You can keep this tiny ad:
Get Paid to Build a Permaculture Paradise at Wheaton Labs!
https://permies.com/wiki/178360/permaculture-projects/Paid-Build-Permaculture-Paradise-Wheaton
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic