paul wheaton wrote:I just noticed that this thread has more than a quarter of a million views.
Gert in the making
My alter ego who has a potty-mouth wrote a book. Check it out here: https://www.amazon.com/Adulting-101-your-straight-succeed/dp/1732148503/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3FBIUWQCJQAPM&keywords=adulting+101&qid=1675194062&sprefix=adulting+101%2Caps%2C96&sr=8-5
Holly Magnani wrote:Where is this place where Gert doesn't have to pay for property taxes?
Dougan Nash wrote:I agree with the sentiment of Gert, but she just conveniently started with a few acres. I know there are a lot of people like me who want to dive right in but land is expensive. I am also (like many in my generation) burdened with student loan debt. Half of what my wife and I make goes towards minimum payments. We were young and dumb and 8 years later, no sign of it ending.
If I took all the money I am paying retroactively for school and could put it into land, I would be a Gert. However, I cannot find a permaculture solution to this debt. I have tried government aid, and working with my private loans. Neither work. Bankruptcy won't even erase it. I probably won't even be approved for a mortgage until I'm in my 40s.
Working toward a permaculture-strong retirement near sunny Sperling.
Todd Parr wrote:
There is a standing joke among my family and friends that they look at my land and see chaos. I see biodiversity![]()
One can never be too kind to oneself or others.
Never our fault, always our responsibility

Working toward a permaculture-strong retirement near sunny Sperling.
there is a wealth in social relations and in kindness that sometimes outweighs the wealth of money.
How Permies works: https://permies.com/wiki/34193/permies-works-links-threads
My projects on Skye: The tree field, Growing and landracing, perennial polycultures, "Don't dream it - be it! "
paul wheaton wrote:this is part of what i am advocating.... (the image is kinda broken, but you get the idea)
Fwiw.. Every Man Dies... Not Every Man Really Lives.
Working toward a permaculture-strong retirement near sunny Sperling.
r ransom wrote: ... Under consumption core is gaining too much popularity, so there is now a backlash. And the main criticism made me laugh.
"Not buying stuff makes you poor"
"Not buying stuff shows off your poverty "
Visit Redhawk's soil series: https://permies.com/wiki/redhawk-soil
How permies.com works: https://permies.com/wiki/34193/permies-works-links-threads
|
First, you drop a couch from the plane, THEN you surf it. Here, take this tiny ad with you:
Infographic to consider the best heat - all costs
https://permies.com/w/heat
|