Win a copy of The Tourist Trail this week in the Writing forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
permaculture forums growies critters building homesteading energy monies kitchen purity ungarbage community wilderness fiber arts art permaculture artisans regional education experiences global resources the cider press projects digital market permies.com private forums all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
master stewards:
  • Nicole Alderman
  • r ranson
  • Anne Miller
  • paul wheaton
stewards:
  • Joseph Lofthouse
  • Jocelyn Campbell
  • Mike Jay
garden masters:
  • Steve Thorn
  • Dave Burton
  • Joylynn Hardesty
gardeners:
  • Carla Burke
  • Pearl Sutton
  • Greg Martin

Should I eat these?

 
Posts: 58
Location: Aberdeen, WA
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Should I eat these mushrooms growing on my lawn, I bought the house 5 months ago.
IMG_4711.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_4711.jpg]
IMG_4713.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_4713.jpg]
IMG_4715.jpg
[Thumbnail for IMG_4715.jpg]
 
pollinator
Posts: 2409
Location: Massachusetts, Zone:6/7, AHS:4, Rainfall:48in even Soil:SandyLoam pH6 Flat
146
forest garden solar
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Do not eat them.
In fact you should not eat any mushroom that you see outside for at least another 18 months
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Andrew Winsor,

Mushroom on your photos looks like Common funnel cap (Clitocybe gibba). It is edible mushroom. However before consuming it you should make further enquiries with some mushroom expert, because photos can be inacurate.
I'm also surprised by S Bengi's reply that you shouldn' t eat any mushroom that you se outside for at least 18 months. Were there any nuclear explosions or some other environmental disaster near by? If not, you can eat all edible mushrooms provided you are 100% sure they are edible. If you are in doubt, please contact mushroom experts or don't eat mushrooms you don't recognize.

Best regards,

Banni
 
steward
Posts: 3999
Location: Wellington, New Zealand. Temperate, coastal, sandy, windy,
96
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

S Bengi wrote:you should not eat any mushroom that you see outside for at least another 18 months


Can you explain the "18 months" to me?
I'm definitely not suggesting eating random fungi, but I'm curious about the timeframe you state.
I feel like there's something unexplained or I'm just missing something
 
S Bengi
pollinator
Posts: 2409
Location: Massachusetts, Zone:6/7, AHS:4, Rainfall:48in even Soil:SandyLoam pH6 Flat
146
forest garden solar
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The 18 months is just a random number to give you some time to learn more about mushroom.

I am super cautious of mushroom and as of such found it very alarming that you posted a pic and said can I eat this.
In a way that is the same as saying which species of mushroom is this, which just sounds so much less alarming.

The mushroom does look like Clitocybe gibba, but it seems to be out of season (Sept to December).
Also quite a few mushroom in the Clitocybe is deadly poisonous (Clitocybe dealbata and Clitocybe rivolusa) and many of them will get you sick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitocybe

I personally only trust myself to identify and eat chicken of the wood. The rest I am pretty sure I know but will not risk it.
So perhaps that clouds whatever opinions I post on here.
 
pollinator
Posts: 2392
85
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

There are bold mushroom eaters and there are old mushroom eaters, but there are no old bold mushroom eaters.



First rule of mushroom collecting is identify down to species exactly what you have. That probably won't take you 18 months. It's amazing what you can learn in just a one semester mycology course. If you can't find a course locally, there is always the Mycological Society of America. You may be able to find a local member to hang out with on mushroom hunts and learn from him (or her).
 
pollinator
Posts: 3738
Location: Vermont, off grid for 24 years!
100
dog duck fungi trees books chicken bee solar
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There are 6 mushrooms generally regarded as "safe."
Morels
puffballs
chicken of the woods
hen of the woods
shaggy main
Oyster

See this page for more info and remember, there are bold mushroom hunters & there are old mushroom hunters but there are no old bold mushroom hunters.

Stay away from LBMs (little brown mushrooms).

edit: I got ninja'd by John but let that reinforce the saying!
 
Posts: 167
Location: Sunizona Az., USA @ 4,500' Zone 8a
8
greening the desert
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

John Elliott wrote:

There are bold mushroom eaters and there are old mushroom eaters, but there are no old bold mushroom eaters.



First rule of mushroom collecting is identify down to species exactly what you have. That probably won't take you 18 months. It's amazing what you can learn in just a one semester mycology course. If you can't find a course locally, there is always the Mycological Society of America. You may be able to find a local member to hang out with on mushroom hunts and learn from him (or her).



Learn spore colors & take spore prints. This is the best first step in educating yourself IMHO.
 
Posts: 103
Location: Zone 5, Maine Coast
7
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Definitely work with an experienced mycologist and/or buy and reference at least one of the following books before eating wild mushrooms:

All that the rain promises and more

Audubon guide to mushrooms

Mushrooms demystified

Or another well reviewed guide.
 
Posts: 1947
Location: Southern New England, seaside, avg yearly rainfall 41.91 in, zone 6b
78
forest garden fungi trees books chicken bee
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I wouldn't feel good about telling someone a mushroom was ok from a photo on the internet. I like the above advice to make friends with knowlegable mushroom lovers.

The saying I go by is "All mushrooms are edible, some only once"
 
Posts: 46
Location: mid. TN
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
get a copy of 'edible wild mushrooms of north america' by david fischer. it was indispensable to me! it contains most of the choice edibles you will encounter.

if you're looking for an ID head on over to the shroomery- there are many PhD's floating around over there and they are usually prompt. http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/3
 
Posts: 1131
Location: Central Wyoming -zone 4
13
hugelkultur dog chicken
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
id also support the 18 month thing, not out of mycological paranoia (sorry bengi) but because mushroom fruiting bodies are notorious for concentrating toxins, and if you only bought the place five months ago, you likely have no idea what kind of chemicals were used in the lawn before purchasing it, and what subsequently may have been concentrated into those mushroom bodies
other than that, if you can identify it clearly and certainly and know its safe than go for it
i just got some beauties coming out of the ground at my place, after a bit of reading im tenatively suspecting they are C. dealbata but im nowhere near an expert or experienced mushroom hunter so im not certain, nevertheless i gave up on them and figure ill just stick to loving the way they look for now:)
 
gardener
Posts: 2660
179
forest garden fungi trees books food preservation bike
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Andrew:
There are mushroom clubs in Western Washington and there's one here in Portland. Go to some of the meetings, get to know the local experts. They will probably enjoy going with you. Your knowledge will grow. I've taken a couple of classes here and it's helped a lot. Start with safe mushrooms that you can identify regularly, then gradually branch out, keying them with ID books and bring them to meetings. Probably should ID a mushroom a few times before eating it. In the long run, you will learn many techniques for deciding which one it is.
John S
PDX OR
 
Oh. Hi guys! Look at this tiny ad:
Heat your home with the twigs that naturally fall of the trees in your yard
http://woodheat.net
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!