Our local food bank occasionally calls me when they have foods they cannot distribute for human consumption. Recently I picked up over 2,200 pounds of quick oats, the type that cooks in 1 minute. As it happens, I don't have much in the way of livestock to feed at the moment so I am looking for ideas to put them to use. I did post in our community Facebook page but was only able to give away about 70 pounds.
I have a small chicken flock (14 birds), 2 pet mini pigs, 2 geese, 1 sheep, 1 standard donkey (retired guardian) and 1 feeder steer.
I welcome all suggestions to avoid wasting these. Oh, BTW, the food bank still has another 3 tons or so. The reason they aren't distributing them is because they supposedly have weevils. I personally opened over 200 packages yesterday and saw none.
Maybe it was a recalled batch or there was a complaint, meaning they are not legally allowed to distribute it for human consumption. It's great they didn't send it to the landfill, but it's a lot to deal with.
Random thoughts if it were my problem to solve:
1. Porridge for my breakfast, with Thompson raisins, cinnamon and demarrara sugar (see no weevil, hear no weevil, speak no weevil )
2. Porridge for dog breakfasts; apparently it's good for them
3. Contact dog breeders, animal shelters, horse rescue societies; maybe they can use some
4. Add some [non-pet] pigs to your menagerie, or make a deal with a pig farmer (or maybe somebody with a few head of cattle?)
5. Alcohol can be brewed using oats
6. Compost if all else fails; I initially was going to suggest using it directly as a traction aid on ice or a top-dressing for a lawn/pasture, but I worry about the mouse attractant factor
Douglas Alpenstock - I didn't think about pet shelters. I do have a contact at the local Humane Society I'll ask. I they can't use any maybe she'll no someone else who can.
I did think of alcohol but I'm not set up to distill and all of the beer recipes I found also called for barley. I'm gluten free by necessity so that's out. Unless someone has a good GF oat-based beer or ale recipe.
I am watching the local ads for a feeder pig or 2, though I don't like hauling water for them in the winter.
And I am willing to consume some directly myself but nearly enough to make a dent!
But I appreciate the ideas.
Never have I heard before of oatmeal pie, but I'm going to try it.
Raising mealworms seems like a good way to turn low-protein oats into high protein chicken feed.
Composting if all else fails, never a landfill once I get my hands on anything edible of decomposable.