Pre-order the 2016 Rocket Mass Heater 4-DVD set


Should be coming out August 10th!

Click Here!

  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

ram pump

 
paul wheaton
steward
Pie
Posts: 19087
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
 
            
Posts: 27
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey There

Well I have Built three

Seen many in use.

As of right now i don't have a water supply so i cant use one.

Here is a brochure you can look at really simple but good info.

My Friend made it up a long time ago used all over the world now. He travel around now sharing in 3rd world countries.

The attachment is kinda weired because it is supposed to be printed. Read cover on 1st attachment then second attachment then back to first sorry for inconvenience

AT05.JPG
[Thumbnail for AT05.JPG]
AT04.JPG
[Thumbnail for AT04.JPG]
 
Joel Hollingsworth
pollinator
Posts: 2103
Location: Oakland, CA
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Looks like your first attachment is re: ram pumps, and the second is re: tube wells.

Both look like good info, but it seems we have half of each.
 
            
Posts: 27
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Wow I feel silly. 

Ok sorry about that that is what i get when trying to post by looking at thumbnails.

Here is the proper one.

If any one is interested i have all of Rus' brochures they are 11 of them.

The Topics Are

Ram Pumps

Rus Pump

Tube Well

Ferro Cement Water Tank

How To Make A Water Filter

Water Sealed Toilet

Mornington Toilet

Water Jar

How To Make Salt

Stoves

"A" Frame for contouring sloping land

AT06.JPG
[Thumbnail for AT06.JPG]
 
paul wheaton
steward
Pie
Posts: 19087
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What's a rus pump?

I think several of those things need explanation.  New thread(s)?

 
                                  
Posts: 14
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yup!!! Thank God for our ram pump!! We bought ours from a company in Texas.  The  man was very helpful getting ours set up.  We went with a 1" pump, the cheapest they made to see if we had adequate flow and fall.  now that pump raises water 600' to our camp(140" vertical!) We were given an estimate of $20,000 for a drilled well which is not an option right now but we wanted to be able to enjoy our new piece of earth now... when there is a will there is away
 
Jami McBride
volunteer
Posts: 1948
Location: PNW Oregon
25
books chicken duck food preservation forest garden hugelkultur trees
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
All those brochures would be great to have, but not posted in any thread, posted instead as articles -

I want a stationary, how-to, articles section 
How about permies.com, articles could go there.....
 
paul wheaton
steward
Pie
Posts: 19087
Location: missoula, montana (zone 4)
bee chicken hugelkultur trees wofati woodworking
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jami McBride wrote:
All those brochures would be great to have, but not posted in any thread, posted instead as articles -

I want a stationary, how-to, articles section 
How about permies.com, articles could go there.....


I'll see what I can do .... 


 
Wyatt Smith
Posts: 111
Location: Midwest zone 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
paul wheaton wrote:

Anybody seen one in action?




This farm  http://www.bugtusslefarm.com/
uses a ram pump for all farm needs.  The pump was entirely built by the farmer using plumbing supplies, and is similar to the diagrams above.

There are perrenial streams with about 18 ft of usable head.  The pump handles about 320 gallons per day, lifting water up  to storage tanks over 100 ft up and 1/2 a mile away. 

 
Philip Freddolino
Posts: 53
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all, I use a Gravi-check ram pump and it lifts about 1400 gal./day up 160' with 8' of fall.
 
Rich Blaha
Posts: 5
Location: NW Oregon
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi folks...I saw Paul's post on reddit a few days back, and it (and a failed well pump) sparked me to post about ours

http://www.mossbackfarm.com/2011/01/ram-pump-progress/

Cheers

Rich
 
John Taylor
Posts: 6
Location: Surprise, AZ
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
jtjf_1 wrote:
Wow I feel silly. 

Ok sorry about that that is what i get when trying to post by looking at thumbnails.

Here is the proper one.

If any one is interested i have all of Rus' brochures they are 11 of them.

The Topics Are

Ram Pumps

Rus Pump

Tube Well

Ferro Cement Water Tank

How To Make A Water Filter

Water Sealed Toilet

Mornington Toilet

Water Jar

How To Make Salt

Stoves

"A" Frame for contouring sloping land



Could I get email copies....please
 
Tim Canton
Posts: 175
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not a ram pump but a cool idea that pangeafarm posted on another link




water wheel
 
Monte Hines
Posts: 190
Location: Andalusia, IL. Zone 5a
6
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Subject interests me for several reasons:

I can remember my uncle (40+ years ago) using one to pump water up a 200' hill, from a creek, to water his large beef cow herd...

I never knew how it worked...

Also, we might want to use one on our farm, where we have water, and do not have electrical power...

I spent some time researching and have created a blog on the subject:

"Water Pumps Without Electricity or Fuel" - Hydraulic Water Ram Pumps and Others...

There is lots history, theory, practice, homemade plans, videos, etc... all at
--> http://hines.blogspot.com/2012/02/water-pumps-without-electricity-or-fuel.html



Basic components of a hydraulic ram:
1. Inlet - drive pipe
2. Free flow at waste valve
3. Outlet — delivery pipe
4. Waste valve
5. Delivery check valve
6. Pressure vessel


First Video of: Water Pumps Without Electricity or Fuel Playlist - 7 Video - 21:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5AXw6fWXg&list=PL2A382B614E076834&index=1&feature=plpp_video


First Video of: Hydraulic Water Ram Pumps-Theory and Practice Playlist - 9 Videos - 1:14:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y_WWxWdn5A&list=PL78401A89D14D8922&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Just trying to contribute...
Hope this is helpful...

With Regards and Respect For All,
Monte Hines
 
Markham Cornoit
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone have a plan for a serious ram pump that will lift water a serious distance? The only one that I have been able to find on the net was one that failed against any serious height. Thanks. 
 
Tom Harner
Posts: 86
Location: St. Louis, MO
5
forest garden hugelkultur trees
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, so I am cheap frugal & lazy prefer to work smartly, and finding properties on a budget with an all weather water supply is no simple task... That combination has led me to searching for self-priming/self-starting ram pumps. I know that Rife makes one... so they are theoretically possible (and more importantly, real world possible). At the moment I am just in the experimental stage, so I am looking for a DIY option.

So that brings me to it: Does anyone know of a DIY, self-priming/self-starting ram pump designs?


I am imagining a rain collection system partially from a home that automatically pumps the water up to a "water tower" to pressure the same home's fresh water supply. I know there are many other facets to the problem... such as limitations of volume and purification concerns... but my focus is on the pump (or defeating gravity) at the moment.

Any help is appreciated.
 
Glenn Underhill
Posts: 95
Location: NW Montana
2
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Monte linked to a youtube video by engineer775. I don't think Monte picked that one randomly. Engineer775 has some of the best videos on ram pumps.
 
Jeremey Weeks
Posts: 206
Location: Eastern Washington, 8 acres, h. zone 5b
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've built 3. They can be temperamental but that could be the design I used or my (lack of) skills.

The best design I saw in use was made out of concrete. The valve/flapper was made out of tire. I don't know if it's a peace corps design or what.

This video holds the design I used. video

Not my video. Partslist is at end.
 
Jeremey Weeks
Posts: 206
Location: Eastern Washington, 8 acres, h. zone 5b
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just found a video containing the concrete design...

video
 
Mindy Wolff
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Good choices, Monte. That last video is from one of my favorite youtubers. Also, check out the ones Wranglerstar did on his land. He shows how he made it, why it works, how the trenches and catches work, etc. if you can not find them, let me know and I can dig up the links.

Mindy

Monte Hines wrote:Subject interests me for several reasons:

I can remember my uncle (40+ years ago) using one to pump water up a 200' hill, from a creek, to water his large beef cow herd...

I never knew how it worked...

Also, we might want to use one on our farm, where we have water, and do not have electrical power...

I spent some time researching and have created a blog on the subject:

"Water Pumps Without Electricity or Fuel" - Hydraulic Water Ram Pumps and Others...

There is lots history, theory, practice, homemade plans, videos, etc... all at
--> http://hines.blogspot.com/2012/02/water-pumps-without-electricity-or-fuel.html



Basic components of a hydraulic ram:
1. Inlet - drive pipe
2. Free flow at waste valve
3. Outlet — delivery pipe
4. Waste valve
5. Delivery check valve
6. Pressure vessel


First Video of: Water Pumps Without Electricity or Fuel Playlist - 7 Video - 21:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5AXw6fWXg&list=PL2A382B614E076834&index=1&feature=plpp_video


First Video of: Hydraulic Water Ram Pumps-Theory and Practice Playlist - 9 Videos - 1:14:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y_WWxWdn5A&list=PL78401A89D14D8922&index=1&feature=plpp_video

Just trying to contribute...
Hope this is helpful...

With Regards and Respect For All,
Monte Hines
 
Mindy Wolff
Posts: 11
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Glenn Underhill wrote:Monte linked to a youtube video by engineer775. I don't think Monte picked that one randomly. Engineer775 has some of the best videos on ram pumps.


I would like to extend that by saying, in my humble opinion, that engineer775 is a genius and is well worth watching and learning from on most subjects. He even shows what he has done on his own property for rain catchment, how he made a truck run off wood, and many more cleaver things. When he talks, I take notes.


Mindy
 
Olenka Kleban
pollinator
Posts: 202
Location: Ontario
51
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Derick made one last year! I will post pictures of it when I get home. It's a fine thing. The clicking is quite charming, too.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://richsoil.com/email
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic